Re: new rules

Karen J Davies wrote:

> >I actually like the idea of a fouled player's choice. Why force people
> >to shoot foul shots when they are ahead.  Make the defense steal the
> >ball.
>
> This was only a proposal which has not been taken on board yet.  I agree
> with you that it is a good idea.
>
> >On the other issue, I have not seen the proposal.  But is this for a "no
> >charge zone?"  And what does that mean?  Are they just going to let Shaq
> >knock down anyone without having to worry about it at all?  Maybe I am
> >just too cynical.   But, I would like to know more about what the no
> >charge deal is.
>
> The NBA has had a no charge zone for some time defined loosely as under the
> basket, this has been expanded for next season to be a 1.2m semi circle
> under the hoop.  In the past a charge would not be awarded to a defensive
> player if he was in position under the hoop.  The only purpose of this is to
> allow people like Kemp and co. to dunk the ball with a bit less fear of
> getting  a charge call. The NBA would not like to see Kemp having to do
> finger rolls because somebody is camped in the lane.  Like it or not, this
> is what pro basketball has become...

Excuse me?  What has the NBA become?  Are you upset because, using
your own words, that "someone who is camped in the lane" has to now
get off of his fat ass and actually play defense?  I think the NBA
is moving in the right direction on this one.  Anyone who plays ball
hates the guys who lazz around the rim and try to undercut you, in
an attempt to draw a charge.  And usually the stupid ref blows his
wistle, while you lay on the floor holding you're arm/injured area.
 Now I know there is a difference between this and allowing Shaq to
bowl his way to the hoop, but the NBA's refs are the best, and I
think they can tell the diference.  I think this rule was put in
place to help the refs eliminate all the fakers and sliders who hide
in the lane.

Adam Litchy