The eve of '97-98

As we approach the eve of the 1997-98 season, I am sitting and
reflecting on my point of view of the NBA and the Celtics.  Right now, I
do not care much for the NBA.  Salaries that seem ridiculous to young
players who really have not earned them.  Barkley throwing a person
through a window and telling him he hopes he is hurt dead or something.
No concern for the fans from TV, the owners, the players, the league.
Nobody cares about us but us.  So, I don't care much for it at all.
Mainly, it seems go be nothing but me me me me me.

Then, there is Joe Dumars, so I am sure that we don't see the real good
guys in the head lines.  So, I think there is hope.

On the Celtics, it seems that everyone is so fast with the trigger.
Pitino is our saviour.  Pitino has ruined the team?  He is trigger
happy.  Whatever.  Let's be realistic. New coach, new team, new
tactics.  There are going to play well in stretches but they are going
to get beat and beat soundly be the good teams in the beginning.  I
predict that if the team can keep a good attitude, that come February,
Billups will begin to shine, the team will begin to gell and by the end
of the season, they will have won about 30 games.  We will be in the
lottery, unless someone else tanks their season.  But, for god's sake,
give this program a good three years before we begin passing judgment.

Why, because a team has to learn to win.  Remember when Detroit was
coming on.  Magic said Isaih Thomas drove him crazy all summer long
asking questions about what, what it takes to win.   A team can win 40
games and not know how to win.  But, when it learns how to win, the
quite confidence, then it can go.  A team that has a poor record can
come on at the end of the year and tear into the playoffs.  So, it will
take this year to lay a foundation, the next year to build confidence
and continuity and the third year will be when the team has to learn to
win to see if it has championship quality.  And that is what I think
Pitino brings to the Celtics.  I believe that he has the ability to see
who has that quality.  And it will take him a year or two to learn his
way around the league too.

So, in the long haul we are headed the right way.  Lower your
expectations, and remember, they may not play 1998-99 anyway because of
the coming lockout next summer.

Go Celtics, give em time fans.

- --

Peace,