12 man roster, Pitino's mistake

Well, now that we've traded for Roy Rogers (Gene must be thrilled!), the
Celtics final roster is shaping up.  Barring another trade (which is
probably not a safe bet), it looks like the Celtics will open with the
following twelve players:

	 C Travis Knight
	   Pervis Ellison
	   Andrew DeClerq

	PF Antoine Walker
	   Roy Rogers

	SF Walter McCarty
	   Dontae Jones

	SG Ron Mercer
	   Bruce Bowen

	PG Dana Barros
	   Chauncey Billups
	   Dee Brown

My guess is that Tyus Edney will be waived, while John Thomas and Greg
Minor (foot injury) will go on the injured list.  (As will Scott Brooks if
he isn't released.)  Yesterday, I thought that the Celtics were going to
bite the bullet and release Minor, but then I read that Pitino said he was
injured.

The players who will log the most minutes per game will be Walker,
McCarty, and Bruce Bowen (those of you saying he will be cut are crazy).

As for Pitino's biggest mistake, that is looking like Andrew "Five year
contract" DeClerq.  At least he's not getting a lot of money over the five
years (only about $8.5 million).  That will probably end up being salary
cap small change in a couple of years.

I don't think any of Pitino's other moves can be faulted, though.
Consider:

	Chris Mills - We essentially "gave up" Eric Williams for him, and
		      then traded Mills for McCarty, Jones, and Thomas
	              (whom Pitino is now raving about).  I don't think
		      that Williams was all that great, and I would rather
		      have the three former Knicks.  (Although we do end
		      up losing a post scorer.)

	Tony Massenburg - Can't criticize Pitino for this one, either.
		       	  Signing Massenburg allowed Pitino to pick up
			  Roy Rogers for a second rounder.

	Bruce Bowen - This could be Pitino's best signing.  Bowen is one
		      the top defensive players on the team, and as such
		      will log a lot of minutes.

	Tyus Edney - Not a great signing, but who cares?

	Travis Knight - Looks like a talented player, although he will
			never be a "typical" NBA center.

	Andrew DeClerq - Looking like a long term mistake.

I would give Pitino an "A" for both trades (Mills and Massenburg).

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu