overrating our own guys

It seems to me that many people on the list are overrating our players.
In the last few days, I've seen people refer to Antoine as a future NBA
first teamer and Mercer, Billups, Barros, and McCarty as potential
all-stars.  I think Antoine has a CHANCE at making the all-star team this
year.  But there is also a very good chance that he won't.  So I would say
that it's fair to label Antoine a "potential all-star", but if you use
that term with anyone else on the team you are taking away any meaning it
might have.  If Billups and Mercer are potential all-stars, then every
team in the NBA has 4 or 5 potential all-stars.  I'll be happy if Mercer
and Billups develop into average starting guards (ie being considered
imbetween #11 through #20 at their positions) over the the next few years.

And yes Barros is a former all-star, but you know the old saying: "A
former all-star and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee...."

I really like Warwick's idea of trading for Spencer and Mark Price.  Price
would be a great guy to have around to help Billups develop into an NBA
point guard.  And Spencer would give us some badly needed quality minutes
in the middle.

Some people get upset at all of the trade ideas we like to toss around.
But first of all, it's fun.  And secondly, outside of Antoine no one on
this team is irreplaceable.  Guys like Bowen, McCarty, and Jones fit very
well into this system, but if they eventually want huge contracts, they
can be replaced by other low budget players.  (I'm just saying this in
response to someone's statement that the Mills' trade was a bad one
because McCarty and Jones might ask for big contracts in two years.)

Antoine is the only guy worth breaking open the bank for.  Freeing up cap
space would be great.  That way we can go out and sign a real all-star
(Penny or Pippen) or a center.

Another point I want to make is that McCarty is versatile, but he can't
play 4 positions (at least not in the NBA).  He's 6'10" and Pitino says he
actually weighs only 217lbs and will never play at the 2.  He's a tall 3,
who can also play some 4.  With that said, I love the guy.  I watched the
Milwaukee game Friday night.  He has tons of energy, adds a lot to the
press, and plays agressively on both ends of the floor.  Billups showed
some of his potential as well with a few quick drives to the hoop which he
finished and some nice passes.

With 15 guys left, I think Pitino will try to worm out of having to eat
any contracts.  Thomas will definitely be put on the injured list or might
be sent to Europe.  DeClerq or Massenburg will twist an ankle in practice,
at least that will be the official version.  Actually Edney will probably
be waived since Pitino won't want to push his luck with the fake injury
thing.

That reminds me, Brooks hasn't been officially waived because he's
recovering from surgery and could file a grievance.  So that might cause
Pitino to put him on the injured list as well.  Which means that Edney (or
someone) would have to be waived because you are only allowed 3 players
on the injured list.  The problem with that is that Edney seems to have
the best point guard skills on the team.  So I really hope we make a 2 or
3 for 1 trade soon.

The Dow dropped 550 points today, so at least something is doing worse
than the Celtics.

Jeremy