Billups

I know that it's still very early, that it's a new system, that some
players take longer to adapt and blossom, and that the point guard position
is the hardest for a rookie to pick up, but, after 8 games, shouldn't we
have seen at least SOME glimpse of the talent that Billups allegedly
possesses? I want to believe that we have a gem in Billups as much as the
next guy, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. If someone who was
not a high lottery pick had played like Billups did in the preseason, he
would've been cut a few games ago (unless he had a Brown/Barros/Minor-sized
contract, of course). I was watching the recent high picks on both teams
tonight and trying to remember whether any had been so unimpressive even at
this point of their first season. I don't think it was the case with
Iverson, Stackhouse, Coleman, even Weatherspoon, and certainly isn't the
case with Tim Thomas. It wasn't the case with Walker, or even E. Williams.
I think Ellison looked better at this point in his rookie year. Yes,
Billups is a point guard, and a very young one at that, but so were (are)
Iverson and Marbury. I heard that Daniels is not doing well either, but
that could just mean that there are two Danny Ferrys in the lottery this
year, rather than the usual explanation that it just takes longer for PGs
to adapt and shine in the NBA (how about Penny, Tim Hardaway, Isiah, Magic
- - Bilups was picked in the same range?).
If there's anyone who sincerely believes that Billups will be a great
player, I'd like know to why you think so (please, no "he's a #3 pick, thus
he must be good" stuff)- maybe you could allay the doubters' fears.
K. Kveraga