McCarty part II (or FUN returns to the Celts?)

First - a caution.  Appearing in his first game for the Celtics, McCarty's
performance may have been a fluke promoted by the excitement of getting to
start for a new team.  I remember Michael Hawkins had a very nice first game
for the Celts, and then more or less faded away, so we'll have to wait and
see if that happens with McCarty.

But other than that - Yeehaaaa !!
This was the most *fun* game I've seen from the Celts in years!
McCarty (at least for one game) can really handle the ball for his size,
plays very active defense, can really pass the ball, and appears to be able
to shoot fairly well.

If this holds up, getting nothing for Eric Williams (which I still think was
unneccesary and dumb), and trading away the player that supposedly made that
happen (Chris Mills), would nevertheless on the whole be a great deal.

I think Eric W. will do very well at Denver, but McCarty has so many superior
physical abilities compared to Mills and Williams, that he improves the team
a lot even without considering the other two players picked up in the deal.

I didn't like Mills as a pickup, not because he isn't a good player in the
right system, but because he didn't seem to fit the type of ball I hoped the
Celts were going to play.  McCarty seems perfect for it.

One possible starting lineup of the future :

C  -  Knight
F - Walker
F - McCarty
G - Mercer
G - Billups or Barros
(or whomever they end up with if they make some more trades that include a
point guard.  I agree getting Bobby Jackson would be nice, but I think it's
way too early to assume Billups won't get the hang of the pro game).

At any rate, that might make a heck of a fast and talented front line !
I also think we have a lot more talent in whomever ends up being the bench
players.

BTW:  Speaking of fun - I think the other night when Barros had his good game
- - it looked to me as if he were really having fun out on the court.  Maybe
the players are really going to enjoy playing this style.  Hopefully it will
bring out their best in their play too.

BTW 2:  Has everyone noticed how much better Antoine Walker is playing this
year ?  He seems to have dropped the out-of-control moves and is making his
shots much better this year.  The word that comes to mind to describe his
game is "solid".  Last year he showed a lot of potential and some big
numbers, but was often out of control.  Big change for the better so far this
preseason.

Hank M.  (Optimistically dreaming of Celtic wins in So. California)