Waived players

Does anyone know what happens, salary cap wise, when a team releases a player
(or five)?  I thought I remembered hearing, during the Dino fiasco, that if a
team claims a player off waivers the team who waived them is no longer
responsible for their salary.  If they clear waivers, however, they would be
stuck.  If this is true it would be risky waiving one of the higher salaried
players, but could rid us of their salary (eg. Dana, Minor, Dee).
Jim