On Walter McCarty

In the post-game press conference, Pitino said that McCarty was within
a second of his state's record in the 440 or 880 (he couldn't remember
which), I think in high school.  So he's probably the fastest 6-10 guy
in the NBA, or just about anywhere for that matter.  He seems like a
perfect fit for this system, and gives the Celtics some of the size they
need.

Pitino also said that McCarty knows Pitino's system even better than
Walker and Mercer, as he played for UK for 4 years, so he should be
effective as soon as he's in shape.

Another thing Pitino said he liked about the trade was that they got value,
as in "trade value".  I suspect the Celtics will try a 3-for-1 trade,
sending Dontae Jones and John Thomas along with one of the older Celtics
to a team for one good player.  Then they'll cut Cunningham, and be down
to 13 players, and put one guy on the injured list to be down to size for
the regular season.

If Pitino picks up any more former Kentucky players we might as well call
them the Boston Wildcats!

A very possible starting lineup for the Celtics could be:

Knight, McCarty, Walker, Mercer, Billups.

This lineup would have 3 former Kentucky Wildcats, and a grand total
of 3 years' NBA experience COMBINED.  Everyone has tremendous upside,
one of Pitino's main goals.  I have a feeling the Celtics will be very
competitive next year, in '98-99.

Jon Mc