Re: Interesting trade rumor

In a message dated 97-10-21 10:47:18 EDT, awang@MIT.EDU writes:

<<  I read an interesting trade rumor on CNNSI's chat area.
 Three way trade:
   Nets send Jayson Williams and 1st rounder to LA for Elden Campbell.
   LA sends Jayson Williams and Derek Fisher to Boston for Chauncey Billups.
 It sounds possible because it does fill needs for all teams.

 Alex>>

Damn that Vecsey!  OK, let's give this rumor the litmus test: Does NJ have
enough cap room to swallow the difference between Jayson Williams' salary and
Elden Campbell's salary ($7 MM/year) ??

Does anybody have JW's salary for this year? I want to say it is somewhere
around $2.5 or $2.8 MM .  Fisher is making around $650K this year, I believe.
At first glance, even with Chaouncey making the 20% bump over the Rookie
salary cap, the numbers would be a stretch to fall within  the required15%.

And what does NJ's overall cap situation look like?  Are they under the cap?

That should pretty well tell us if this is fact or fiction.