birdman

          Well, we didn't get to see the game here in metropolitan
          Middletown, Ohio, but I did cover the Pacers' exhibition
          opener against the Cavs up at the University of Dayton Arena
          Friday night.

          A few observations:

          The Pacers are very talented in a half-court offense. They
          have three great offensive players in Miller, Mullin and
          Smits and two willing role players in Dale Davis and Mark
          Jackson.

          They are deep. Try a second unit of Antonio Davis, Travis
          Best, Jalen Rose, Mark West and Austin Croshere (although he
          broke a bone in his hand and is out six weeks).

          Unfortunately, they are woefully slow defensively. The Cavs
          put a quick lineup on the floor that gave the Pacers fits.

          Kemp struggled for most of the game, but had a spectacular
          five-minute stretch in the third quarter.

          The Cavs got a steal in Derrick Anderson. He didn't shoot
          much but, much like when he was at Kentucky, was in the
          middle of everything else. He smothered Miller at times,
          came up with several steals and some great passes. If first
          impressions mean anything, this guy will be a great player.

          All and all, I think Larry has the personnel to really
          improve the Pacers, and I think the Cavs could improve if
          their big men -- talented Vitaly Potapenko and Zydrunas
          Ilgauskas -- stay healthy and out of foul trouble. They have
          some real talent around the perimeter (although Sherm
          Douglas was the same old Sherm --- pound, pound, pound the
          ball in the floor).

          Non-Celtics stuff, but I thought you all might be
          interested.

          Mark.

          P.S. By the way, for those of you who don't know already, I
          am the sports editor of the paper here in Middletown. I've
          covered the Masters, World Series and countless other major
          sporting events, but interviewing Larry was one of the
          highlights of my career. I was like a kid again, when I ran
          around with Bird t-shirts on and papered my walls with Bird
          posters.