Closs Article

Anyone remember the shot-blocking string-bean fromt the Summer Camp?

Wednesday, October 8, 1997

                   PRO BASKETBALL DAILY REPORT, CLIPPERS
                   Closs Looking Promising at Center
                   By CHRIS BAKER

  PREV STORY

  NEXT STORY

  RELATED

  PRO BASKETBALL

  SPORTING NEWS NBA

  AP PRO BASKETBALL

  CLIPPERS

  LAKERS

  NBA GAME TRACKER

                                    eith Closs, the Clippers' 7-foot-3
rookie center, is never going to be
                                    confused with former Clipper center
Stanley Roberts.
                                         Closs, signed to an $8.5-million,
five-year contract after the Clippers
                                    shipped Roberts to the Minnesota
Timberwolves last June, weighs only 212
                             pounds and is so skinny that he has to be
encouraged to eat. He has gained 15 pounds
                             in the last two months.
                                  "We've got to put some heft on him,"
Clipper Coach Bill Fitch said. "He does
                             some good things for a willow."
                                  Fitch, however, is gushing over Closs,
who impressed the Clippers after
                             averaging 11.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.4
blocks for the Lakers' summer league
                             team.
                                  "He's holding up good," Fitch said. "He
hustles for a big man. He's got a lot to
                             learn at both ends of the floor, but he's a
good student."
                                  Closs, a lifelong Laker fan who wears No.
33 because it was Kareem
                             Abdul-Jabbar's number, signed with the
Clippers because the Lakers were over the
                             salary cap and couldn't offer as much.
                                  "If I can't play for [the Lakers], I want
to beat them," Closs said. "Just thinking
                             about [playing the Lakers], I get chills up my
spine because my dream was to always
                             play for the Lakers. I think I'll be wearing a
smile that whole game."
                                  Closs, who also received offers from the
Washington Wizards, Portland Trail
                             Blazers, Seattle SuperSonics, Boston Celtics
and Denver Nuggets, said he signed
                             with the Clippers because they gave him a
long-term contract.
                                  Closs, undrafted in 1996 after averaging
11.9 points and 8.4 rebounds in two
                             years at Central Connecticut State, played for
the Norwich Neptunes of the Atlantic
                             Basketball Assn. last season.
                                  'I'm happy with my performance in
scrimmages so far," Closs said. "My goal
                             is to start. I won't be happy with anything
less."