NBA's future

Posts recently written by Justin Toney (Boston Celtic Limited
Partnership...) and others about owners dishing out huge salary's have got
me worried about the future of the NBA.

I just hope that the NBA does not turn into what baseball has become, with
only large-market teams competeing. I am a Kansas City Royal fan, but I have
considered giving up on them because I realise that they will never contend
again. As soon as a Royal player get good enough to make a decent salary, KC
has to trade them. I saw a publication that listed teams needs for the
upcoming off-season. The Royals most pressing needs? To cut its payroll. And
this is a sub-500 team that finished about 20 games out of first we are
talking about! They listed Chili Davis, Jeff King, J. Bell, Bip Roberts and
Jose Offerman as players that are on the trading block in an effort to
reduce payroll. In case you are not familiar with the Royals, this is every
player that is having anyting close to a good seson for KC. In other words,
KC is willing to trade their hopes for a successful team for prospects that
will work cheap. Once these prospects develope into decent major leaguers,
they too will have to move on. With this attitude, that is a result of the
small market in which they play, you can see why I say that KC will never
again contend for a flag, while the Yankees and Whitesox will contiue to buy
success.

Is this what is down the road for the NBA? In order to be any good, teams
will have to have three people making 20+ million. Like someone said only LA
NY and Chicago would be able to afford this. I see big troubles for the NBA
next summer. I doubt that next season will start on time, if at all, due to
a strike or lock-out or some problem over the bargaining agreement.

Please comment.

Nathan
FOR NEWS: http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/5800

FOR North Bend Sports: http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/arena/2430

"You mean now I gotta start thinking about the Celtics
   again?" -- Charles Barkley reacting to the arrival of Rick Pitino.

What you see it what you get-- and you ain't seen nothin' yet!

TADPOLES ARE A WINNER!