Fox news, from CBS/Sportsline

CBS SportsLine/Pro Sports Xchange

                                Boston Celtics

  HOT TOPICS:

   GETTING INSIDE

   Celtic free agent Rick Fox intimated he may well be willing to settle
   for less than his market value to be a part of the Rick Pitino regime.

   Fox, who opted out of his contract following this past season, is
   mindful that he fits well into Pitino's favored style. All along, he
   has stated a desire to enjoy the comeback after living through the
   Celtic slide.

   And though Pitino has expressed his affection for Fox, as well, the
   new coach and president is looking to loosen the pay structure that
   has put the club in bad position vis-a-vis the salary cap. So there
   may be a tough decision to make on Fox if he pushes for top dollar.

   But the Celtic captain may make it easier.

   "Put it this way,'' Fox said. "There is more involved here than just
   getting a pay raise and getting my open marketplace value.

   "What I'm interested in is winning and the opportunity to build a
   championship team. That's what I'm looking at even more than the fact
   that I like this city. I want to win basketball games.''

   While Fox was awaiting an initial meeting with Pitino to get further
   acquainted (the two worked as player and coach on one of the teams in
   the movie Blue Chips), he feels there is no doubt he can provide what
   the coach is looking for.

   "He'll be the judge, but I think I fit his style,'' Fox said. "I like
   to think that. I can play defense and put on pressure in the open
   court. I can shoot the outside shot, and I love working hard. I've
   been around a few years now, and I think it's easy to see why Chicago,
   New York and Miami do so well. They work hard. They're not afraid of
   hard work, and that shows in the way they play and the way they carry
   themselves. I know that's the way coach Pitino goes about things.

   "I'd love to play for Rick Pitino. To me, he's a winner.''

   The fact Fox did opt out of his contract should not be construed as an
   indication he'd like to leave. He made $1.75 million this past season,
   and the deal was structured so he would take this out and get his
   market rate.

   "This was a planned thing when we signed the contract,'' Fox said.
   "But I've said all along that my first choice would be to stay here
   and be one of the people who helps us turn the team back to being a
   contender.

   "It's really not up to me to say I'm definitely going to be back here.
   That has to be coach Pitino's decision. But from what I know and what
   I can see, I think this would be a very good situation. I just have to
   find out whether I fit into their plans. I know coach said some good
   things about me and Dave (Wesley) in the paper, and that felt good.''

   Shortly after taking the Celtic job, Pitino lauded Fox and Wesley,
   though the latter, also a free agent, may be out of the club's price
   range because of the existing backcourt contracts.

   "Those are two guys with wonderful, wonderful attitudes,'' Pitino said
   two days after being announced as the Boston chief. "Both have
   everything you want in a Celtic. But some of this is out of our
   control. I do think both guys will want to see what's out there (for
   offers). There are just a lot of things we have to look at right
   now.''

   In Fox, Pitino will be looking at a player with strong leadership
   qualities who has played in both the frontcourt and backcourt and has
   shown over the course of his Celtic years he can work well as either a
   starter or sixth man. It will also interest Pitino to know that Fox
   was truly bothered by each of the 67 losses this past season.

   NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

   The Celtics revealed part of their financing plan for Rick Pitino's $7
   million salary, announcing an average 6.2 percent increase in ticket
   prices.

   Owner Paul Gaston said at Pitino's press conference that he'd be
   leaving the $10 tickets alone but would look at the other fees charged
   to watch the C's. What that look yielded was an increase scaled more
   toward the higher-end seats.

   The $125 front row tickets went up 25 percent to $150, while the
   former $70 and $60 seats underwent 10 percent hikes. Some of the $50
   tickets also went up 10 percent, while others stayed the same.

   In their announcement, the Celtics claim the $10 upper deck seat "is
   the least expensive ticket among all the major professional sports
   teams in Boston.''

   The club apparently forgot the $9 bleacher tickets in Fenway Park or,
   considering the recent fortunes of the local nine, do not consider the
   Red Sox a "professional'' team. ...

   Pitino realizes how important this draft is to his rebuilding project.
   Unless the Celtics get very lucky in next year's lottery, he knows he
   won't be drafting this high again.

   He therefore has been hard at work evaluating players and deciding
   whom to bring in for individual workouts. Those one-on-Celtic sessions
   will begin this week. ...

   The Celtics will play a preseason game in Lexington, Kentucky. Believe
   it or not, it was planned before Pitino and the C's became an item.

   QUOTE TO NOTE: "If they put a salary cap on coaches, the owners would
   overpay the mascots'' -- Agent George Andrews on the salary boom
   pushed by Rick Pitino's deal with the Celtics.

   STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

   The Celtics will almost assuredly be rebuffed in any attempt to wrest
   the No. 1 pick from San Antonio's hands. However, the No. 2 pick, now
   owned by Philadelphia, may not be out of their reach.

   The 76ers like Texas Tech's Tony Battie, and the Celtics clearly need
   a player of his inside capabilities and potential.

   Though there has yet been no hint of conversation between the C's and
   Sixers, sources indicated there is room to talk. It is at least
   possible that a package of the No. 3 and 6 picks plus a player (Greg
   Minor? Dino Radja?) might fetch the No. 2 pick and Jerry Stackhouse.
   The latter is a free agent after this coming season and had thus far
   expressed interest in getting away from Philly.

   DRAFT OUTLOOK: Not nearly as good as it was before the draft lottery.

   The Celtics will be looking to trade one or both of their first round
   picks in hopes of getting a solid inside presence.

   In that they have other needs, as well, this entire process is open to
   suggestion.

   FREE AGENT UPDATE: Rick Fox has opted out, and David Wesley's contract
   ended. The Celts would like to re-sign both, but some of that might
   depend on whether they can move some of the deadwood contracts.

   Todd Day, Brett Szabo, Alton Lister, Frank Brickowski, Steve Hamer,
   Marty Conlon, Michael Hawkins and Nate Driggers are also free. Forget
   Day, Lister and Brickowski. One or two of the others could be back,
   depending on their financial needs.

   ROTATION REVIEW: Starters -- Point guard David Wesley (16.8 ppg, 3.6
   rpg, 7.3 apg, 2.19 stls); Off guard Rick Fox (15.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.8
   apg, 2.20 stls); Small forward Antoine Walker (17.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 3.2
   apg); Power forward Eric Williams (15.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.8 apg); Center
   Brett Szabo (2.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg). Bench -- First guard Todd Day (14.5
   ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, .398 FG pct.); First forward Marty Conlon (7.8
   ppg, 4.4 rpg); First center Alton Lister (1.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg).

   MEDICAL REVIEW: Rick Fox (sore right foot) missed the last 4 games;
   Eric Williams (bruised right knee) missed 7 of the last 8; Dee Brown
   (hyperextended right big toe) missed the last 11; Greg Minor (right
   foot surgery) injured list; Dino Radja (left knee surgery) injured
   list; Dana Barros (left ankle surgery) injured list; Frank Brickowski
   (right shoulder surgery) injured list; Pervis Ellison (broken right
   big toe) injured list.

   Rest is prescribed for most, while retirement may be the only cure for
   Brickowski.

   May 26, 1997* Vol. 2, No. 62

   Copyright (c) 1996 Pro Sports Xchange

   All Rights Reserved. Reprints, duplication or redistribution is
   prohibited without written permission from Pro Sports Xchange.

   Copyright © 1997 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved.
   CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Inc.

Bob Strauss      "Duke of URL"                   Cataloger
Hunter Library                                   Western Carolina U.
strauss@wcu.edu
Bob Strauss' 4 levels of Fax machines:
Level 1: Able to fax black and white images on paper.
Level 2: Able to fax color images on paper.
Level 3: Able to fax small inanimate objects.
Level 4: Able to fax large animate objects (i.e., people).
                         --Bob Strauss, 4/23/97