Re: Draft

- ----------
> From: Erik Estes <eestes@blue.kps.esu10.k12.ne.us>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Draft
> Date: Tuesday, May 20, 1997 5:35 PM
>
>         Picture this...  Rick Patino decides in the middle of his last
> season with Kentucky that he will coach the C's.  He then decides not to
> play Derek Anderson, even though he is 100% and ready.  Pitino then
trades
> down in the draft to about 10-15 and picks Anderson for the steal of the
> century.  Who knows... It could be true.
>         I think we should trade down and get Tracy McGrady.  What do you
> all think.

I doubt that's the reason Pitino didn't play Anderson.  I think the real
reason Anderson didn't play (and i have no confirmation of this, it's just
a hunch) is that it was sort of a punishment.  One night during the season,
Anderson was caught at 4am running a red light and it was found that he was
driving on a suspended licence (that part i know is true).  Pitino is the
type of guy who wouldn't stand for that type of thing, although there was
never any mention of any punishment.  My hunch is that Anderson was
suspended for what he did, but that Pitino used his injury as the official
reason so that it wouldn't reflect negatively on Anderson or the team.

As for getting McGrady, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if Pitino decides
that's the direction he wants to go.  He's very young, but supposedly he's
the type of guy you can build a team around.  Since we're still a few years
away from contention, he would have a few years to develop and then after 3
seasons, he'd be 21 with 3 years experience under his belt around the time
that the celtics would start to be contenders.

Jeff