re: Mailing list #158

I am terrified that the C's are going to use the 3 pick on Van Horn.  I
live in Utah now and have watched him throughout his college career.  He
is a deft offensive player, but he lacks quickness and the explosive
speed needed for the 3 spot.  There is no way he can play the 4.  He
would be eaten alive.  And do you think he can defend Pippen or any of
the other explosive small forwards out there?  Not a chance in hell.
I'm afraid he is another Mike Smith (another player I watched closely
and wanted to succeed).  I remember Smith going for more than 20 in
Denver about a week before he was relegated to the bench for the rest of
his career.  He actually had an impressive offensive output on that
whole Western trip, but his defense and rebounding was terrible, not to
mention his work ethic.  Van Horn will be the same kind of problem.
Also, every time he was matched up against a big time player, he was
outshined dramatically.
Can Duncan play the 4 spot?  Does he have to play with his back to the
basket?  If not, the Spurs will not even listen to a deal.  But it could
be a very good thing for the Spurs to deal Duncan now for high lottery
picks and a solid veteran player (I just don't think we have the solid
veteran player to attract any real interest).
I am completely optimistic with Pitino in there.  However, he is no
magician.  I always hear him mention Van Horn first when he talks of
college players other than Duncan.  I'm thinking this is a smokescreen.
Van Horn and the Pitino up-tempo system?  No.