Re: lottery thoughts

- ----------
> From: JOzersky@aol.com
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: lottery thoughts
> Date: Friday, May 16, 1997 12:40 PM
>
> This taylor thing suggests to me that Patino is at least thinking about
> trading down with the second pick to unload dead wood.  I think this is a
> mistake.   A good lottery position is the rarest thing in the game, and
> usually only obtainable after profound misery, and sometimes not even
then
> (as two years ago).  You take good players with it.  Guys can always be
> traded for next to nothing, or even bought out if it comes to that.  And
in
> one or two years their contracts expire anyway.   Wasting a lottery pick
just
> for the sake of unloading somebody, even if you get a pick back, is a
> mistake.  I hope Patino has his eyes on a veteran.

Maybe having Taylor come in for a workout is just classic Pitino trying to
make everyone else wonder what he is thinking.  Maybe another reason is
that Pitino has seen a lot of certain players who he has coached against,
but he hasn't seen others and he's just trying to see as many different
players as he can.  He's coached against Duncan ('96 NCAA elite 8), Van
Horn twice (This year's elite 8 and '96 second round), and Tim Thomas (a
regular season game earlier this year).  Maybe he hasn't seen a lot of
Taylor and was just wondering if it's all hype or if he really can play.

If that's the way he's rating the players then i would think he's very high
on Andre Woolridge, because i don't know how many of you remember this
year's NCAA tournament, but in the second round Iowa gave Kentucky quite a
scare and Woolridge was a big part of it, and he did a pretty good job with
the UK press.

> here's a question:  they do the team cards in reverse order, right?  So
if
> the third pick comes up, and its not vancouver or boston, we're set.
What if
> the fourth card comes up and its not V or B?  Or what if Dallas isn't
six?
>  When will we first know?

After the first 3 picks, they go by order of record.  So as the picks come
up, 13 should be cleveland (i think), 12 should be Indiana (i
think),...etc. If they go from 13-4 and the picks are not in order of
record then we know a team has moved up (for example, if 13 is supposed to
be cleveland and it is indiana instead then we know that cleveland moved up
into the top 3)

jeff