PACERS HAVE A GREAT OFFER, BIRD SAYS

INDIANAPOLIS (May 3, 1997 - 16:08 EST) -- Larry Bird is considering a
"great offer" to be the next coach of the Indiana Pacers but is not
expected to decide whether to accept it until early next week, published
reports said Saturday.

The Indianapolis Star and News and Boston newspapers reported Bird also was
mulling an offer from the Boston Celtics to become either their coach or to
take another position with the franchise for which he starred for 13 years
as a player.

Bird, now a consultant for the Celtics, was quoted Saturday as saying if he
left Boston, it would to be to join the Pacers.

"Indiana has made me a good offer -- no, a great offer," Bird told The
Boston Globe. "I've known the owners since college, through mutual friends,
and I have great respect for Donnie Walsh. We are definitely talking, and
if I decide to do something (other than remain with the Celtics in some
capacity), it would definitely be there."

Bird, from French Lick, Ind., led Indiana State to the 1979 NCAA
championship game.

Walsh, the Pacers president, had dinner with Bird last weekend to discuss
the job offer. He said he was staying in regular contact with Bird.

"We're having ongoing discussions," Walsh said. "That's as far as I'll go."