Re: stop dissing ML

At  8:47 PM 97.3.28 -0500, R. Bentz Kirby wrote:

>I think
>people just like to dis ML.  I mean, Jerry West even expressed
>admiration at the deal ML cut with Dallas.  and this year he stuck to
>his guns and did not panic when they lost players.  He has the team
>looking at long term.  Which is when DJ, Bird and KC will step in.

As I see it, this is the problem with this whole Larry Bird as GM idea. Why
is it that ML should do all the dirty work, hang in there when the team
hits the skids, put up with the constant criticism from the fans, make the
deals to get good draft picks, maybe eventually land Duncan, maybe Baker
(?), etc.
  --- and then when things have started to turn around Larry Bird (who has
less experience in all managerial positions than ML) is supposed to step
in?

It isn't going to happen like that. If Larry Bird is to be seriously
involved with management he should start as an assistant GM, under ML's
direction, and later move up if his contributions warrant it.

- -Marc