Re: On Bird and Gaston, et al.

- ----------
> From: JOzersky@aol.com
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: On Bird and Gaston, et al.
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 8:25 AM
>
> a long post, but  please read thru ----
>
> The players really seem to love ML, and I am concerned about the message
they
> would get from seeing the only black coach/gm in the league, and a
devoted
> company man at that, fired by a white millionaire so he can bring in two
> white "saviours" for the Boston team and its many bigoted fans.  That is
one
> of my concerns with Pitino.

As far as race, it's not an issue.  It's a matter of talent and ability.
Carr is not, has not, and will not be a top flight coach.  He is a
questionable GM.  Bird may or my not be better.  However, since Carr has
basically tied up all of our cap room with small two guards, what is the
worst Bird could do?  He certainly can't go out and sign dominque again.

>Plus, Does anyone really think Antoine Walker
> would be thrilled to have Pitino back in his face for an 82-game season,
plus
> camp, preseason and hopefully the playoffs?  I'm still not convinced
Pitino
> would make a good pro coach.  His tenure with the knicks was dubious, and
who
> was the last college "genius" to make a top flight pro coach.  (dont say
> Larry Brown.)

Players respond to coachs with ability and expierence.  I'm confident
Antoine would get along with Pitino.  And if not, trade him.  This is one
thing Bird would not put up with--Players who act like children and pout
when things don't go their way.

 Pitino has the credibility of actually having won, of having been
succesfull, at all levels.  I know there is a difference between the Pro
game and college, but basically basketball is basketball.  And Pitino's
teams play a style very similar to most NBA teams.   To you're question of
the last "college genius."   When was the last time a person came into the
NBA without ANY pervious coaching ability, and was even mildy succesfull,
let alone a top flight pro coach. (dont say Pat Riley)

  Maybe the best thing would be to let ML stay as coach, and
> give Bird the reins as VP of bball ops.   I don't know if Bird will get
any
> job at all, though.  Thoughts?

ML must go as coach.

Adam Litchy