Bird on Wing to Boston

I woke up this morning to great news. San Antonio wins and Dallas takes
another lose (they are on an Eastern death march swing).  The best news of
all is I'm convinced that Bird is coming back to Boston after reading Peter
May's article
"On Basketball: Bird is feeling caged." You can read it
at:http://www.boston.com/globe. Go to the sports section from there.

Here is a bit of what was written and some comments:

Bird states that:

``I couldn't put a percentage on it, but I am probably as
  close as I've ever been or ever will be'' to getting back
  into the game, Bird said. ``If it's not next year, then soon
  I will be doing something. Retirement is for people over
  65. I'm too young for this.'' (Bird turned 40 last Dec. 7.)

  ``I'm getting edgy. Whether it's the front office, or
   coaching, or even assistant coaching, I want to get
   involved. I used to sleep eight or 10 hours a night when I
   played. Now I get by with five, which gives me five more
   hours with nothing to do. I've got a lot of free time.''

This certainly sounds like Larry's ready to dive in head first and get his
hands dirty. I just can't believe that Gaston would sit on his hands and let
Larry fly the coup and feather some other NBA owners nest. Gaston has to
pull the trigger on this pronto.

May and Bird go on to say:

The inner workings of
the organization have at times left him utterly frustrated.
He often talks about the unending layers of
decision-makers. He thinks there are too many yes men
and wouldn't hesitate to do what he felt needed to be
done.

``I am not afraid of making a decision like that,'' Bird
said, referring to in-house changes. ``If I came there, or
wherever I do go, I will make it. I would move them or
get rid of them. Everyone has to be held accountable.
With the Celtics, I wouldn't go in there and work with
some of the people they have. There are people there
who have to be held accountable for what they do.''

He continued, ``Now people are going to read that and
say, `Oh sure, he's coming to Boston,' and there's no
question that the Celtics will always be my first choice.
 But I'm not going to step on anyone's toes or back-door
 anyone. Paul has told me I can have a role. And I think I
 can bring something to the table. At least I hope I can.
But I don't know what the state of mind of the Celtics is.'

I like the idea of Bird moving into the front office and cleaning house.
It's the present host of characters that's helped bring us to the sorry
state we are in now (outside of our position vis a vie the draft). Larry
would kick some butt and send a strong message to the players that he won't
tolerate anything less than 100% or your out the door.

As far as ML is concerned it's clear that Larry doesn't want to be Brutus in
this deal. But it's clear he want's in. Why not make Bird the GM and let him
keep Carr for the upcoming season as his coach. With our picks and changes
implemented by Bird directley effecing the product on the floor it would be
time to put up or get out for Carr. If ML falls short of his promise to
bring the Celtic's back to the playoffs next season Bird would have every
right to show him the door and not feel badly by doing so. It would also be
fair to Carr to give him a shot with a full and youthful squad.  Don't read
me wrong here I would like to see him out of the picture but if a compromise
is needed to get Larry here so be it.

I'm a twenty yeaar season ticket holder and have been a Celtics fan all my life.
I was there for the Wicks and Rowe years and remember the feeling when Bird
came to town. The great feeling of hope and rebirth. You just knew things
would turn for the better. Look what happened. Please let history repeat
itself. Bring back Larry Bird now!!!!

JC