from CBS-Sportsline

                         You Don't Know Jack Sports

   [ISMAP]-CBS SportsLine/Pro Sports Xchange

                                Boston Celtics

  HOT TOPICS:

   GETTING INSIDE

   You certainly don't need a statistic to tell you this, but the 1996-97
   Celtics officially became the worst group in franchise history Sunday
   with their 54th loss.

   "It's not a proud moment,'' said Rick Fox after the 119-101 loss in
   Minnesota to the Timberwolves.

   Indeed, though there are clear reasons for the dive, it still has to
   sting a bit to undercut the infamous 29-53 crew of 1978-79.

   "I just hope that if we're going to be taking the bullet for the
   long-term good that it results in some serious help in the future,''
   said Fox after going for 26 points. "Because each of these losses
   definitely feels like a bullet. But if you're going to go this route
   -- developing the young guys and giving them extended minutes -- you
   just want to make sure you get something good out of it at the other
   end of the process.''

   The Celts have now lost eight straight and 21 of their last 22.

   "It's not a really big surprise at this point,'' M.L. Carr said of the
   worst-ever record clinching. "In light of what we were faced with, we
   had to know this was coming. If this had happened with our full
   contingent, obviously there'd be a lot more concern. But I still think
   we can do some positive things in the rest of the season.''

   Former Celt Kevin McHale was said to be out of town at a family
   function, but perhaps a part of him simply didn't want to bear witness
   to this. On the other hand, McHale used to argue in his Boston days
   for a dip into the lottery as a rebuilding tool.

   It was he who first uttered the phrase, "Aim low for success,'' while
   still a Celtic.

   The Wolves, by the way, set another record for most wins in a season
   with their 32nd. Ironically, the previous Minnesota high-water mark
   was the previous Boston ebb of 29.

   The Celtics smelled like low tide in the last quarter Sunday. Down two
   with seven and a half minutes to go, they proceeded to miss their next
   12 shots and turn the ball over once. The Wolves scored 18 straight
   points and never looked back. Boston had shot itself into the game
   with treys, but continuing that strategy cost them when the shots
   stopped falling and Minnesota turned the failures into fast break
   buckets.

   Antoine Walker tied his career high with 29 points, but he couldn't
   turn things around for the C's when it was most needed.

   The Celtics have lost seven straight at home, another record they can
   have all to themselves if they fall to Milwaukee at the FleetCenter
   this evening.

   NOTES, QUOTES, ANECDOTES

   There was joy in the Celtic dressing room Sunday. Before the game.

   The Providence victory over Duke in the NCAA tournament second round
   was cause for celebration, with three Celts taking the greatest
   pleasure as God Shammgod and Austin Croshere put the Blue Devils away.
   Eric Williams and Marty Conlon are Providence products, and Rick Fox
   went to North Carolina, meaning any Duke loss is worth a party.

   It was an interesting sight. While a tape of the Timberwolves' last
   game was playing on one television, it received no attention. The C's
   had chairs arranged to watch the set with the PC game.

   M.L. Carr even got into it. When it was clear the Friars would be
   holding on for the decision, Carr joked, "Sweet 16, Eric. You're
   excused to go see it.''

   Over in the Timberwolves' room, former Dookie Cherokee Parks wasn't
   having a great time. Going through the Celtics who were happy with the
   outcome, Parks got to Fox and said, "Oh, yeah, I'm sure he hates Duke.
   Let's face it, a lot of people hate Duke.''

   Kevin McHale has done extremely well rebuilding the Wolves, but he
   hasn't hit every shot he's taken. Though he had been on the Celts with
   Stoyko Vrankovic during the latter's two-year taste of the NBA, McHale
   still gave the 7-foot-2 Croatian a three-year contract worth some $11
   million, believing he could get some boards, clog the middle on
   defense and block some shots. But Vrankovic has gone from the starting
   lineup to the far reaches of the bench he played for just the second
   time Sunday since February, going all of 1:56. He has played 44
   minutes in the last 26 games. The hope of the Wolves is that Vrankovic
   becomes so frustrated he returns to play in Europe next season.

   The Mavericks won their battle against Boston Thursday, but they
   certainly weren't figuring on the no-win situation when they sent the
   sixth overall pick and this year's first rounder to the Celtics for
   the No. 9 overall choice and Eric Montross. It was hard to imagine
   Dallas not being a playoff contender at that point. Surely Montross
   (since moved to New Jersey) would offer a strong inside presence at
   allow the talents of Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn and Jimmy Jackson to
   better show through.

   "But you knew then they were having internal problems,'' said Celtic
   chief M.L. Carr. "You had a woman (singer Toni Braxton) involved, and
   that's something that doesn't go away easily.''

   Mav coach Jim Cleamons took no extra joy in the win, saying, "That
   deal is done. If we were playing great, we wouldn't be worrying about
   it. To worry about that, to me, is childish.''

   No more childish than Braxton breaking the club up.

   "We had to look at the big picture,'' said Carr. "And we made what we
   thought was a good move. Just being able to move up to the sixth spot
   in the last draft was big. We felt there were six big players in that
   draft, and we would have been happy to get any one of them. The fact
   we were able to get Antoine (Walker) just made it better for us, but
   it would have worked out other ways for us, too.''

   The Celtics should be given Tim Duncan for their 103-92 loss to the
   sorry Spurs Friday night. That or 15-20 years in prison for
   desecrating the sport. In that it was a game neither the Celts nor
   Spurs could afford to win as they troll the bottom of the lottery in
   search of treasure, it was bound to be an evening of rude roundball.
   And both clubs came through, offering ample evidence for their
   prosecution.

   Some, however, will simply say the Celtics didn't want it more.

   San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich knew the cynics would be barking once
   Avery Johnson showed up for Sunday morning's shootaround with a
   103-degree fever and swollen neck (he had strep throat).

   "As soon as we sent him to the doctor,'' Popovich said, "I turned to
   the assistant coaches and said, `Oh, are people going to have fun with
   this.'''

   Out on the court a half hour before the game, Wesley, who most
   certainly was going to play, couldn't resist. "We'll see your Avery
   Johnson,'' he cracked, "and raise you a David Wesley and a Michael
   Hawkins.''

   But seriously, folks.

   Dominique Wilkins came back to haunt M.L. Carr again. Whacked once for
   signing Wilkins to a free agent contract in the summer of 1994, Carr
   appeared to be taken off the hook when Nique left for Greece the next
   year. But in a game Carr wanted so the heat of the many losses would
   ease, Wilkins stepped off the San Antonio bench and went for 22
   points, bringing with him more energy that the Celtics had as a group.

   "It's nothing personal,'' Wilkins said afterward. "I like scoring
   points against everyone. It doesn't matter who. I like scoring,
   period. If there was anything personal, then I wouldn't still be
   living back in Boston. I don't have any hard feelings against the
   Celtics.''

   BY THE NUMBERS: 0 -- The number of games the Celtics have won in the
   United States in February and March (they have two victories in that
   time, both in Toronto.

   QUOTE TO NOTE: "This can't get over soon enough for me'' -- Anonymous
   Celtic player.

   STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

   M.L. Carr is again positioning himself as the master controller,
   speaking as if all this losing -- and the great draft pick it will
   fetch -- is by design. He says he wants to develop the young people,
   but he is still giving good minutes to Todd Day.

   Figure on Antoine Walker to continue racking up decent numbers, with
   Carr giving him the green light to fire at will. Eric Williams has
   also been more aggressive with his shot of late.

   GAME MATCHUPS: Monday versus Milwaukee -- The Bucks have been having
   their problems of late, but they could feel better in a hurry unless
   the Celtics can keep Baker and Robinson from getting easy baskets
   inside. Rebounding will be a huge key for the Celts to stop Milwaukee
   from getting out on the break.

   Wednesday versus Utah -- The Jazz would have to give this one away to
   lose -- and even then such philanthropy might not be enough for the
   Celts to break through. Eric Williams will play Karl Malone tough, but
   Utah cannot be stopped by the C's if it pushes the ball.

   IN YOUR FACE: Monday versus Milwaukee -- The Bucks are 3-0 against
   Boston this season, winning by an average of 17.

   Wednesday versus Utah -- The Celts have lost 10 straight to the Jazz,
   their fourth-longest losing streak against one team (they've dropped
   19 in a row to the Knicks).

   ROTATION: Starters -- Point guard David Wesley (6-23 shooting in last
   2); Off guard Rick Fox (15-16 FTs in last 7); Small forward Antoine
   Walker (40 or more minutes in 12 of last 13; exception being game he
   sprained ankle); Power forward Eric Williams (no defensive rebounds in
   two of last three games); Center Brett Szabo (10 points total in last
   6). Bench -- First guard Todd Day (12-44 shooting in last 4); First
   forward Marty Conlon (minutes have declined in last four games -- 37,
   27, 21, 19, 10); First center Alton Lister (has broken out for total
   of eight points in last three games after going for 2 pts in previous
   13).

   INJURY UPDATE: Dee Brown (hyperextended right big toe) out; Greg Minor
   (right foot surgery) injured list; Dino Radja (left knee surgery)
   injured list; Dana Barros (left ankle surgery) injured list; Frank
   Brickowski (right shoulder surgery) injured list; Pervis Ellison
   (broken right big toe) injured list. x

   March 17, 1997* Vol. 2, No. 42

   Copyright (c) 1996 Pro Sports Xchange

   All Rights Reserved. Reprints, duplication or redistribution is
   prohibited without written permission from Pro Sports Xchange.

   Complete Pro Football Insider newsletterby computer download, e-mail,
   or fax!

   Subscribe now. Call 1-888-PICK PSX (1-888-742-5779)

   Return to Pro Sports Xchange

    Home | Index | Search | Free 30 Day Trial

   We welcome your comments in our Feedback Forum

   Copyright © 1997 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved.
   CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Inc.