No Subject

>this is what the c's payroll looks like i think we can cut down to about
>8 players. then we would have 4 positions to fill.  so those player
>should be 1- duncan 2-backup pg 3- another center 4- a good swing man.
>we would have about 13.5 million to pay 4 players now we can get some
>great free agents or save the money tell '98......are their any problems
>anyone sees with this thinking????

Well, actually there is a problem.  It's called guaranteed contracts:

>|   PG  Dana Barros               $3,400,000 let go
>|    G  Dee Brown                 $3,250,000 let go
>|  PF-C Pervis Ellison            $1,760,000 let go

We don't have the option to simply "let go" of these players (if we did,
Dee would have been gone over a year ago).  While I agree that we would
be better off without these guys (and with the extra cap space it would
give us) the Cs hands are really tied here, through no fault but there
own.  We're stuck with them for several more years anyway . . . Unless we
can talk some team into taking them, but who would for this kind of $$$$?
 And even if we could trade them away, we'd just get some more deadwood
in return with a similar contract.  The only solution is to wait it out
and never sign mediocre players to long-term, multi-million contracts
(Pervis for almost two million?!?  I think his contract was for 6 years
too!  Jeez!)

The only players that we can dump (to my knowledge) or lose to free
agency are:  Wesley, Fox, Day, Lister, Conlon, Brickowski, Szabo, and
Hamer.  Expect Wesley and Fox to be resigned and probably everyone else
(except maybe Conlon or Szabo as a cheap bench player) to be looking for
a new home.