Re: Who should stay?

- ----------
> From: Jerry allan Lawson <jlawson@mail.sdsu.edu>
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Who should stay?
> Date: Friday, February 28, 1997 2:52 PM
>

> 	When you talk about a team, eventually you come to the area of who
> is a keeper and who is not. My opinion is that besides Walker, Williams,
> Barros, and Radja everyone else could be traded if the opportunity
> presented itself. However, we must remember that if we can find a
> franchise player or two like possibly Tim Duncan, the celtic players take
> on a whole new meaning and role. With Duncan and maybe say Van Horn or
> Mercer or someone else, the other Celtics will begin to play better and
> more consistently, they will have more enthusiasm because winning will
> become more of a reality. Players like Fox, Barros, and Conlon would then
> help create a deep bench. Our team would have a solid starting five:
>
> 1. David Wesley
> 2. Greg Minor
> 3. Antoine Walker
> 4. Dino Radja
> 5. Tim Duncan
>
> Bench (this only includes the players I feel the Celtics should keep):
>
> 6. Rick Fox
> 7. Dana Barros
> 8. Marty Conlon
> 9. Eric Williams
> 10. Our Dallas Pick Player (Vaughn, Van Horn, Mercer, etc.)
>
> Now before you shout well that's only ten players, you must remember that
> I said those were the players I felt the Celtics should keep. The rest
> like Dee Brown, Brett Szabo, Alton Lister, Pervis Ellison, etc. should
> either be released, waived, or traded accordingly.
>
> Further more I think we really need to consider players like Jacque
Vaughn
> and Danny Fortson as possibilities for that Dallas Pick. I know we have
> players for those positions already, but they are still not exactly the
> cream of the crop. Fortson could play the 4 behind Radja and if he really
> developed well, we could then ship Radja somewhere else for probably a
> pretty good player at a position where we need some help. Further more,
> Vaughn could back up Wesley and certainly has the potential to develop
> beyond Wesley's skills.

Jerry why should we expect anything out of Dana or Minor.  If they have not
shown it by now, it probably is not going to happen.  Dana is just too
small for the two position, and isn't a good enough floor leader for the
point. Fox could leave to a higher bidder, but he may stay if we land
Duncan and a few other key players and dump Day, Brickowski, Lister.

As others have stated, Fortson could become a Barkley, but more likely a
Corliss Williamson or Oliver Miller.