so many thoughts

	I have too many thoughts about the draft to write a neat letter,
so here is a Dan Shaugnessy type article:

	I can't believe that Freeman, Seals, and Woolridge went
undrafted....Pitino should try to unload Minor's 4 years and $11M to a
team like Minnesota who needs a two-guard and bring in Freeman and Seals
to compete for the back up two guard spot.... I'm so relieved that the
Pippen trade fell through and from what I'm hearing most Bulls fans are as
well....Philadelphia did very well, basically getting Tim Thomas, Jimmy
Jackson, Eric Montross, and #21 in the draft for Keith Van Horn and junk.
And Philly also got Marko Milac, who many people considered the best
foreign player available, in the secound round....I think the Ben Pepper
pick was Wallace's way of saying 'I'm a basketball guru who can find
players all over the world', but I doubt he'll ever pan out.  Wallace also
mentioned that he would make a great throw in a close to done trade.

Notable Pitino quotes from last night:

on Dino:
	"If he didn't pass his physical, then he is unfit to play for the
Boston Celtics."  The crowd loved that one.  It looks like RP is trying to
run Dino out of town if the trade ends up being voided.

asked if Todd Day would be renounced:
	He paused for what seemed like at least 5 seconds and then said,
"Yes at the appropriate time Todd Day will be renounced..."  This is a
good example of one of RP's attributes that I'm beginning to like.  If
something is obvious, he'll be straight forward and admit it.  One thing I
didn't like about the old regime were the never ending "no comment"'s when
everyone knew what was going on anyway.  It insults your intelligence.  It
looks like Pitino respects the fans enough not to do this.

on Dee Brown:
	"He needs to get down to 185.  He's lost 7 pounds already."  (How
much does he way?) "Let's just say he'd be better off going to dinner in
the North end than playing basketball."

on Mercer:
	"People say he can't take people off the dribble, but that's not
true just look at the tape.  In time he'll be a good defensive player.
Unfortunately his college coach didn't teach him how to play defense."  I
thought that was his best line of the night.

before drafting Mercer:
	"I think the fans deserve to know the truth.  We will not trade
Eric Williams.  We've been getting a lot of offers for him.  And Antoine
Walker is untradeable.  And I want you to be the first to know who we're
taking with the sixth pick.  It's been very hard to keep quiet these last
few weeks... He was the best high school player availabe and he's the best
two guard avaible.  Ron Mercer."  And something about a dream backcourt.

	About two minutes later Stern announced the pick on TNT.  Keep in
mind these quotes are from memory and may not be exact.  And they aren't
in order either.

	He also mentioned that Wesley won't be resigned unless they move
Dana or Dee.  I hope them move both and go with a three guard rotation:
Billups/Mercer/Wesley.  It'll take Billups a few year to develop anyway.

	If the Dino trade does go through and then we can trade Spoon for
Jayson Williams we would be in very good shape.  If all that happens what
do people think of signing Brian Williams to fill the starting center
position?  He might be too pricey.  Dean Garrett and Andrew DeClerq would
be other possibilities.

	Pitino also mentioned that he still wants to bring Rick Fox back.
I was surprised by this (unless he's just being polite) because I don't
see where he'll be able to get any meaningful playing time.  If you trade
Eric Williams for a big guy then I can see bringing him back.  And even
then, don't you want to maximize cap room for next year?

	Thanks again to Jan Crocker for giving me tickets to this great
event.

Jeremy