Re:Pippen trade

 ADAM DAVID CHERIFF wrote:

>About the Pippen trade,
>
>	I think maybe some of you should reconsider your thoughts on the

>Pippen trade.  If it's there we have to take it.  Talk all you want that

>he is overrated, but the bottom line is that he is an all-star, go-to
guy
>which the Celtic's desperately need.  More importantly he gives the
>Celtics what the Globe correctly identifies as their biggest need:
>relevance.  Can't you just see the hype now?  Hopefully, it will start a

>chain reaction in Chicago and break up that team for good.  Now that
>would be an accomplishment.  It would give me a perverse pleasure to
know
>that it was the Celtics who brought down the great Chicago dynasty.
>	Further, several analysts have made the valid point that
>"rebuilding" with draft picks is no longer realistic given the fact that

>most picks look to move on in free agency by the time they have begun to

>develop.  Admittedly, I would lament the loss of the two young players
we
>could potentially get, but come on guys, we have to do this.  Also, I
>heard that Longley was part of the deal which would address another of
>our needs.  Thoughts?

     I agree with Adam on this one.  Like most of the people on this list
I was sick to my stomach when I first learned of this trade when watching
the TNT draft special.  But after listening to Weei today, I have changed
my mind somewhat.

     This draft is widely considered one of the weakest in history.
Also, the NBA rookie salary structure drastically changes the way teams
must view the draft and rebuilding.  Granted, if the Celtics would have
gotten the first pick all this trade talk would be moot.  Duncan is the
only true lock to become a solid NBA player.  But even he is not a lock
to become a hall of fame player.  Right now he is probably Brad Daugherty
with more fluidity and better defense.  That is good, all star caliber,
but right now Duncan is still not one of the top five centers in the NBA.
 Having said that, the rest of the crop of young talent in this draft is
untested and unpredictable.

     Like most of the people on this list I was thinking that Pitino
would rebuild the Celtics the conventional way through the draft.  But
now I realize that with the new rookie salary structure and younger and
younger players entering the draft, this is no longer possible.  Freshmen
and Sophomores are going to be the majority of the players taken in the
NBA lottery for years to come.  Unless there is a sure thing like Tim
Duncan available, NBA general managers will be less willing to stake
their future on young players who will probably leave in three years.

     Having said all this, I believe Pitino has a plan with this Pippen
trade.  The plan is to create a winning atmosphere as soon as possible.
Pippen brings instant credibility to the Celtics.  Sure it is a gamble
because of his age and the injury factor.  But he makes the Celtics
franchise more attractive.  TOO MANY OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS LIST ARE
INSERTING PIPPEN ON THE CURRENT CELTICS ROSTER AND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT
HOW MANY WINS THE CELTICS WOULD HAVE NEXT YEAR.  This move will be made
to set up future moves.  Pitino will probably be a major player in the
free agent market next year and for years to come.  He realizes that this
is the future way to build a team in the NBA.  Two of the most respected
GM's in the NBA (Pat Riley and Jerry West) have built their current teams
through trades and free agency.  So Pitino is not alone in his thinking.

     I believe this is a good move if it happens.  It increases the
attractiveness of the Celtics to future free agents and makes the team
instantly better.  Besides, before all these draft picks were hyped by
the media, wouldn't you trade Keith Van Horn, Tony Battie, or Billups and
the sixth pick for Scottie Pippen.

                                         Eric