SIXE24.htm

          [Philadelphia Online] THE PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS Sports
                           Tuesday, June 24, 1997

                It could be that Radja is just another rumor

                               by Phil Jasner
                          Daily News Sports Writer

   Billy King, in his maiden voyage as the 76ers' vice president of
   basketball administration, found himself inundated last night with
   questions about rumored trades involving his team.

   A deal with the New Jersey Nets? The Cleveland Cavaliers? The Miami
   Heat?

   ``There are all kinds of rumors,'' King said during a conference call
   with reporters. ``That's what they are until something is concrete.''

   That must mean Dino Radja is just a rumor, too.

   The Sixers acquired -- thought they acquired? -- the 6-11
   forward-center from the Boston Celtics last Friday in return for
   forward Clarence Weatherspoon and forward-center Michael Cage. But
   Radja, insisting he is still having trouble with his left knee after
   undergoing an arthroscopic procedure in January, has refused to come
   to Philadelphia to undergo a physical examination.

   If Radja does not take the physical by 5 p.m. today, the Sixers have
   the right to void the trade. King said the Sixers would not waive the
   physical, ``Not at this time, no.''

   ``My goal,'' King said, ``is to get Dino in for a physical.''

   If that happens and Radja fails the physical, an independent,
   league-appointed doctor might be asked to evaluate him.

   Weatherspoon and Cage were said to be in Boston yesterday to undergo
   their physicals. If the trade were voided, the players' rights would
   revert to their original teams.

   The most recent precedent for voiding a trade came Feb. 4, 1994, when
   the Houston Rockets sent Robert Horry, Matt Bullard and two future
   second-round choices to the Detroit Pistons for Sean Elliott. The
   trade was called off when Elliott failed his physical three days
   later. Bullard earned a championship ring with the Rockets in '94;
   Horry won rings in '94 and '95.

   One source said Radja intended to travel to Connecticut last night to
   meet with his agent, Mark Fleisher. Another source indicated that the
   Sixers already had consulted with a doctor in New York who recently
   had examined Radja.

   `` [ It's ] not a pleasant situation,'' Celtics coach Rick Pitino
   said. `` . . . Dino is experiencing some difficulties in his life
   right now, and he has to make some decisions on where he wants to
   be.''

   Radja's wife, Zeljana, is scheduled to give birth within a week. Radja
   had told the Celtics before the trade that he intended to travel to
   his homeland of Croatia during the summer, returning in time for
   training camp.

   Listed on the salary cap at $5.313 million for each of the next three
   seasons, a trade-bonus clause would raise his income to $6.1 million
   per season.

   ``We feel he can pass the physical,'' Pitino said. `` . . . I think
   it's in the best interests of Dino to go. I don't understand the
   problem. He has not told us what the problem is.''

   Fleisher did not shed a lot of light on the situation.

   ``Dino, so far, has decided not to come to Philadelphia,'' Fleisher
   said. `` [ The Sixers ] call frequently, and I've told Dino how Philly
   feels. He believes Larry Brown is one of the better coaches, has the
   utmost respect for him and feels the team is headed in the right
   direction. But . . . ''

   Radja supposedly told the Celtics he only wanted to go to a contender
   or a warm-weather city.

   ``We explained to him it's not Club Med,'' Pitino said.

   Radja apparently believes he would fail the Sixers' physical. He
   missed 57 games this season, although reporters in Boston believe he
   could have resumed playing. He has missed 102 games in the last three
   seasons with various injuries.

   `` [ Fleisher ] has told me it's not about not playing in
   Philadelphia,'' King said.

   King said the Sixers have contingency plans for tomorrow night's draft
   and the construction of their roster with and without Radja. Brown has
   said he is considering three candidates with the No. 2 pick: Colorado
   guard Chauncey Billups, Texas Tech forward-center Tony Battie and Utah
   forward Keith Van Horn.

   ``We're not 100 percent sure who we're going to select right now,''
   King said.

   Whether or not King wants to acknowledge it, the Sixers have at least
   one specific trade offer on the table. New Jersey reportedly is
   offering its two first-round picks (Nos. 7 and 21), plus a choice of
   one player from among Jayson Williams, Chris Gatling and Jim Jackson
   in return for the No. 2 pick and other considerations. If Gatling were
   included, the Sixers would give up Don Mac
   Lean and Lucious Harris.

   Nets general manager John Nash would not provide specifics, but said,
   ``It's safe to say we've had dialogue, that we have interest in moving
   up in the draft, that we've talked to the Sixers, Boston, Vancouver --
   the teams ahead of us.

   ``Of those teams, Philadelphia has the most desirable pick,'' Nash
   said. ``They're the team we'd like to deal with. We've told all the
   teams what we'd be willing to do, and to this point no one has
   accepted. I wouldn't be surprised if, [ by today ] , someone says yes.
   I would think our chances are reasonably good, although not
   necessarily with Philadelphia.''

   Rumors also have been flying about the Sixers attempting to reroute
   Radja and the No. 2 pick to Cleveland for either forward Tyrone Hill
   or guard Terrell Brandon and the Cavaliers' two first-round picks
   (Nos. 13 and 16).

   ``No validity,'' King said.

   What about the Sixers talking to Miami about a deal that would send
   unhappy forward Derrick Coleman to the Heat?

   ``No,'' King said, although he did receive a call last night from Heat
   vice president Randy Pfund.

   Whatever the Sixers do, Indiana coach Larry Bird said, `` [ Brown ]
   holds the key to everything, and with Larry you never know what he's
   going to do until the last minute. I look for him to trade the pick.
   He's got a lot of offers.''

   Just no Dino Radja.
   DRUM ROLL, PLEASE
   The Sixers are scheduled to unveil their new logo and uniforms at 4:30
   this afternoon at Modell's in the Cherry Hill Mall.

                                    ---
          Philadelphia Online -- Philadelphia Daily News -- Sports
                      Copyright Tuesday, June 24, 1997