Re: Van Horn's stock back up

Last night on WBZ's (Boston) Sports Final, Bob Lobel the
WBZ sports anchor and Jerry Callahan stated they felt Pitino was
posturing to make VanHorn his 1st choice with the #3 pick.
Bob Ryan felt it's going to be Billups.

Lobel was the first to confirm Pitino as coach / president earlier
so he may be using some inside source although he didn't say
it was definite.

At 08:32 PM 6/20/97 +0100, you wrote:

>I don't know if any of you caught it, but around 4:30 on WEEI they had
>Michael Holley of the globe on and he was giving the latest news on the
>draft.  He says that Van Horn's stock is back up to top 3 status due to a
>workout he recently had where he showed that he can shoot off the dribble.
>(That was one of the major knocks on his game).  Now there's talk that
>Philly may take him at #2, which would leave us with the decision of
>Billups or Battie.  I'd take Battie because we need someone big and there
>will be some good point guards available in future free agent classes and
>drafts.  Then we'd get either Mercer, Billups, or Daniels with the 6th pick
>to go along with Battie, whichever one is left after Vancuver and Denver
>pick.
>
>If Philly takes Battie then it's possible we'd take Van Horn over Billups.
>I'd take Billups since we just got 2 forwards from Philly, but we could
>take Van Horn as trade bait and pull a deal like Milwaukee did with
>Minnesota last year for Stephon Marbury, where Vancuver takes Billups for
>us and we give them Van Horn for Billups and a pick.  Then if Denver takes
>Daniels at 5 we could get Mercer at 6 and use him as trade bait in a
>similar way and end up with Foyle or Cato to go along with Billups.
>
>what do you think?
>
>Jeff

Kerry M. Kee                     kkee@highground.com
HighGround Systems               (508)263-5588 x144
1300 Mass. Ave, Suite 205        (508)263-5565 (fax)
Boxboro, MA 01719-2203