TRAD21.htm

More Philly Coverage

                      The Philadelphia Inquirer Sports

                          Saturday, June 21, 1997

                         Radja: A full-size pickup
                        Sixers land Celtics big man

   [INLINE]

                              By Raad Cawthon
                           INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

   The 76ers, looking for increased physical size and roster flexibility,
   yesterday made their first trade ever with Boston, sending former
   first-round pick Clarence Weatherspoon and journeyman Michael Cage to
   the Celtics for power forward/center Dino Radja.
   Radja, 30, a 6-foot-11, 255-pound veteran, appeared in 25 games for
   Boston last season before undergoing arthroscopic surgery in January
   to repair a patella tendon in his left knee.

   In the 1995-96 season, Radja, who was drafted by Boston with the 40th
   pick in 1989, led the Celtics in scoring (19.7 points per game),
   rebounds (9.8), minutes (37.4) and blocks (1.43). In four seasons in
   Boston, Radja has averaged 16.7 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.
   Weatherspoon, 26, played in all 82 games for the Sixers last season.
   In his six years with the team, he averaged 12.2 points and 8.3
   rebounds while earning a reputation as one of the league's
   hardest-working players. At 6-6, he is considered undersized as a
   forward.

   Cage, 35, spent only one season with the 76ers, and his usefulness was
   limited. He averaged 1.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in Philadelphia.

   ``We think Dino is a versatile center and power forward,'' said Billy
   King, the Sixers' new vice president of basketball administration.
   ``We are trying to get bigger, and Dino is bigger.''

   In making his first trade, King, who came to the Sixers two weeks ago,
   surpassed the record of former general manager Brad Greenberg who was
   fired at season's end after spending 11 months at the helm of the
   franchise and not making a single trade.
   ``I was a little nervous about it,'' King said of pulling the trigger
   for the first time. ``You make a trade and hope it works. But I think
   it's a great day for the Philadelphia 76ers.''
   Sixers coach Larry Brown agreed, saying he envisions Radja playing
   center and power forward, though he is more suited for the latter.
   ``Now I don't have to listen to the argument that we need to get
   bigger,'' he said. ``I don't look at this in the short term. He's a
   young guy. . . . We've got to look to the future. I want us to go for
   the long haul.''
   The deal, contingent on all the players passing physicals with their
   new teams, brings the Sixers a player who has three years remaining on
   his contract. It also gives them insurance at power forward, the
   position nominally granted to the problematic Derrick Coleman, if
   Coleman should be traded or if the Sixers experience difficulties with
   him during the season.
   Brown said Radja's knee was ``a bit of a concern right now.''

   That concern grows out of Radja's failure to return to the lineup
   despite the relatively minor nature of the surgery. But sources in
   Boston said it was less a question of health than of Radja being held
   out as another ploy to help Boston lose as many games as possible in
   their race for the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft. The strategy backfired
   when San Antonio came up with this year's first pick. The Celtics will
   pick third on Wednesday, after the Sixers.
   A source with the Celtics said that Radja's knee is fine and that his
   trade is more of an effort to free up contract money after next season
   than anything. According to Brown, the Celtics' team doctor, Arnold
   Scheller, said Radja had been playing tennis with him earlier in the
   week.

   Radja could not be reached for comment, and the Sixers said they had
   not spoken with him.
   Boston coach Rick Pitino said the trade gives him roster flexibility
   because Weatherspoon has one year left on his contract and the Celtics
   can buy out the second year of Cage's deal.

   Pitino said Radja was in excellent shape and a very good low-post
   scorer, but didn't fit into the up-tempo, pressing style he plans to
   implement.

   In Weatherspoon the Sixers lose a popular player who came to the team
   with the ninth pick in 1992. Besides being small for his position,
   Weatherspoon does not have the speed to play small forward either. He
   was destined to be a misfit on a Brown-coached Sixer team that intends
   to push the ball to take advantage of the speed of guards Allen
   Iverson and Jerry Stackhouse.

   ``I was shocked at first,'' said Weatherspoon of the trade. ``But this
   is a business, and you have to look at it as a business. I also have
   to look at it as an opportunity. Boston is trying to deal with young
   talent. I have a chance to start over with a new regime.''
   Cage came to the Sixers last season as a free agent. He has two more
   seasons on his contract, one of which is guaranteed. In effect, Cage
   was combined with Weatherspoon so that their salaries would match
   closely the $5.3 million earned by Radja.

   [INLINE]
   This story also contains information from the Associated Press.

   Philadelphia Online -- The Philadelphia Inquirer, Sports -- Copyright
                          Saturday, June 21, 1997