malone

I wanted to mention one thing from the finals, and that is about Karl
Malone.  He is a great person and player, but I didn't like the way he
handled the series.  I remember Bird being dissapointed and felt like he
let fans and Boston down when the celts lost.  He felt like it was his
responsibility when he didn't play well and they didn't win.  The same
goes for Magic.  I think superstars need to take responsibility for losing
more than other players on the team just like when they get the credit
when they win.  Karl Malone choked, didn't play well in crunch time and
was nearly non existent in the final quarter of game six unless he was
throwing up 20 ft fallaway jumpers that were terrible decisions.

After the game he was asked if he felt like he let Utah and the fans down.
His response was his usual, I did my best and I didn't let anyone down
(except himself).  He gave the same response to missing the two free
throws.  I love his optimism, but the same old 'the more to life than
basketball, and I gave it my best and that's all I anyone can ask' gets
real old.  Maybe it is alright in Utah, but in Boston I want to hear how
upset a player is for letting the fans and the team down.  They get paid
way too much money to act like it is no big deal.

I really like Karl Malone but his 'I don't care what people say about me'
opimistic attitude got to me.  IMO he lost the championship, because Utah
played great, and they needed their superstar to take it to another level
and he didn't.

 Christopher R. Gee