JOzersky@aol.com wrote:

> It seems to me that what we have is a mismatch problem. If, and this is a big if, Patino isn't being disingenuous when he says that Foyle is
not a center, than (assuming we keep the picks) we have a problem
picking at three.  We need an all-star, but we need size too.  SO if we
go for Mercer, there won't be a high-caliber big man left at six --
Patino is not crazy about Tim Thomas' head.  It seems to me therefore
that in such a situation the Celts will be inclined to take Van Horn,
whom Patino likes.  He would give us a decent sized front line at 3, and
would be a defensive problem for other threes.  Then with the 6 pick
take Billups/Daniels whichever is left.  (If Denver takes Thomas, then
Billups will probably be the man).  This still leaves us without a shot
blocker, so I say, draft Mercer with three and trade him to Vancouver
for Van Horn and Roy Rogers.  Or use the 1 Million dollar exemption to
sign FA Bo Outlaw, who is our kind of player anyway.  As for trades,
Bird is going around saying he needs a 3 who can score.  So trade
Eric Williams or Van Horn for Dale Davis (and if VH, than also Indiana's
pick, where you take Crosher or Andersen.) For my part, I think D.
Andersen is as good as Mercer.  There has to be some way we can trade
down to take him and (say) Brevin Knight.
> If the new regime (who ought to know) really isn't sold on Mercer, I
like the idea of exploiting his marquee value and getting a quality
player in return.  On the other hand, I think Dale Davis has probably
seen his best days, while the general consensus aroung the league is
that Williams has a substantial upside.  Finally, if Cleveland is
interested, you could easily swing a trade of the 3 for the 13 and 16
picks (and presumably remove some salary cap deadweight as well) --
those two ought to be sufficient to bring Anderson & Knight.

By the way, JOzersky, it's "Pitino", not "Patino".  Sorry to be a
nagger.