Re: draft and trades and NOT Greg Minor

- ----------
> From: JOzersky@aol.com
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: draft and trades and NOT Greg Minor
> Date: Sunday, June 08, 1997 4:57 AM
Jozersky stated:

> Pitino is not crazy about Tim Thomas' head.  It seems to me therefore
that in such a situation the Celts will be inclined to take Van Horn, whom
Patino likes.  He would give us a
> decent sized front line at 3, and would be a defensive problem for other
threes.  Then with the 6 pick take Billups/Daniels whichever is left.  (If
Denver takes Thomas, then Billups will probably be the man).

I don't expect Thomas to be a Celtic, but it could be a smoke screen hoping
he drops to 6, but don't bet on it.  We need to take Mercer or Battie at 3.
 I think Dino can play center if we have 1 or 2 physical athletic 4's like
Walker & Battie ?  I still expect Duncan, Mercer, Battie & Thomas to be the
top 4 no matter who is choosing, with Billups going to Denver at 5, unless
other teams question Thomas' work ethic also.

 This still leaves us without a shot blocker, so I say, draft Mercer with
three and trade him to Vancouver for Van Horn and Roy Rogers.  Or use the 1
Million dollar exemption to sign FA Bo Outlaw, who is our kind of player
anyway.  As for trades, Bird is going around saying he needs a 3 who can
score.  So trade Eric Williams or Van Horn for Dale Davis (and if VH, than
also Indiana's pick, where you take Crosher or Andersen.)

I would not trade Mercer for Van Horn & Roy Rogers.  Rogers has not been
that impressive.  A Williams move for one of the Davis' would be
interesting but I think Eric makes about $1.5 M and the Davis's about
$5M-$7M each , so that isn't going to happen.  Larry has taken over a team
much like the Celtics with a bunch of significantly overpaid,
underachieving players and would love to find someone to dump there long
term contracts on, but not us.
.