Re: Signings

>Pitino on DeClercq:
>
>>"He's a jump shot away from being outstanding," Pitino said.
>
>What!? So is Josh, Dorine and everybody in the CBA.

But for a 6-10 PF/C he does the other things well that we need from a big
guy:  REBOUND, PLAY POST D, FINISH THE BREAK.
Pitino meant that if he could develop a 10 ft jumper (ala Oakley, Ho.
Grant, Kleine) he'd be outstanding, he thinks he has the rest of the game
he needs (or at least the potential that he thinks Pitino can unlock).
Remember we don't need a ton of scoring from the 4/5 spots with Williams,
Walker, Mercer, Billiups and Brown on the floor.

No offense to Dorine or Josh, but I doubt either of them could crash the
boards with Oakley, Baker, Kemp, Barkley defend players like Mason, Thorpe,
Malone, or finish the break (although I've heard Dorine has a 45" vertical)
as well as DeClercq (no I'm not saying he's as good as those proven NBA
stars, just that he does what we need WELL, if not spectacular).

I think C fans will be pleasantly surprised by DeClercq.  I watched him for
4 years at U of Florida and is a joy to watch (He's always hustling and
pumped).
mark