Re: Those greedy Celtic fans

- --=_ORCL_12519725_0_11919707221837520
Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit

> I'm with casey soulies all the way here.  I'm getting tired of hearing
> people say we must trade Williams and Billups or some other pair of
> our most talented young players for Baker.  It makes no sense if you
> look at what it takes to win a championship.
> From what I've seen, you need at least 8 quality players to win.  In
> Pitino's style of play, that need may be more like 10 since players
> are going to get tired expending all that energy so he'll need to spread
> the minutes around.  Anyway, on the best teams, at least 3 of those 8
> quality players will be at or very close to all-star status, and at least
> one of those 3 will have to be a superstar.

It takes the best player in the world to be on your team to win a championship
assisted by two all stars, plain and simple.In the last 18 years this has been
true 16 out of 18 times.

> In today's market, you don't go out and sign or trade for a
> superstar/all-star until you've built up your depth of quality players,
> and developed them to the point where all the team needs is a superstar
> or one more all-star to take them over the top to a championship.
> Why?  Because that signing them as a free agent combined with the
> salary cap would handcuff you from making any significant future moves,
> to round out your team, and trading for him would force you to give up
> too many quality players, and put you further from your goal.  You need a
> solid foundation upon which the all-star can vault you to the top.  Right
> now, the highest any all-star could vault the Celtics would be to a low
> playoff team.

First off, you do whatever you can to improve your team. Riley traded for
Alonzo Mourning and gave almost away half his team. Miami has made tremendous
improvement from non-Riley years. What do you say to that.

> Right now I believe Walker and Williams are proven quality players.

Walker yes, Williams no. Williams makes 1 mill/per year and yet there is not
even a rumour of a team interested in him.

> Minor has the physical skills, and HOPEFULLY just needs good coaching, which
> he now has, to become a quality player.  Brown just needed motivation
> to become a quality player, and now he's regained the motivation.

Shouldn't three years be enough to show those dormant skills and the lesser
said about Brown the better it is.

> If just 3 or 4 of the new acquisitions (Billups, Mercer, Knight, Declerq,
> and possibly Outlaw, and one other) turn into quality players, and just
> one of them develops into an all-star, then the Celtics will be in a
> position to sign a free agent all-star or trade a young quality player
> and draft picks for an all-star, to bring them close to championship
caliber,
> but they aren't ready for that yet.

After the celtics sign up walker the only player that they will be able to
sign will be for either NBA minimum or the 1 mill that they will get every 2
years. The only way another team will trade an allstar for a quality player &
draft picks, if its a high draft picks are high.

> Besides, one problem that occurs when you put a bunch of young players
> with potential on the floor with a veteran all-star is that the young
> guys are a bit in awe of the all-star and feel a little less confident
> about their own game, and about assuming some leadership on the floor.

We will need that veteran leadership both on the floor and in the locker room
etc, so that the rooks can look upto some player for direction. We need an all
star to challenge the skills of these young players and get them to the next
level.
                                      - Mishra

- --=_ORCL_12519725_0_11919707221837520