Re: Celtics and Vin?

> From: JFairba568@aol.com
> Personally, I don't think the Celts should include Billups in a trade for
> Baker.  My feeling on Billups is that he will be a star.  Granted, so is
> Baker, but I don't like the idea of giving up too much for him when we
could
> get him in two years.

Looking at the current NBA salaries, it will take upwards of 15 mill/year
offer to sign Baker. In order to do that the C's will have to be about 12
mill under the cap. If you examine the contracts individualy, most
contracts end in either 2000 or 2001. In addition in 1999, Walker becomes
an FA and C's will have to excercise the Larry Bird exemption to sign him.
So whatever we need to do we have to do in the coming two years.

>  If Milwaukee can't trade him then they probably lose him.  I say we
trade
> Williams and the '99 first rounder and a stiff or two.  I may be being
> unreasonable but I am stingy when it comes to trading away good players.

We can't low ball Milwaukee because they can trade him to anybody and it is
just possible that, that somebody may convince Baker to stay with them. Vin
has given us some leverage with his comments, we should use it  judiciously
so that he doesn't get the impression that weare not at all interested in
him. We can always aquire good players through free agency.
                                                              - Mishra