DeClerq Signing (?) & Rivalries : Philly, Knicks, Lakers - yes !

I don't know how all these signings are going to work out (or if they will -
given Dino's unresolved situation in Greece), but boy it's sure done
something for a few old rivalries !

kkee@highground.com posted previously a story with the following about the
Lakers and Knicks both being interested in DeClerq in addition to Philly.
 Hah !   It always feels good to thwart the evil designs of your enemies
(especially Lakers or Knicks).  In a more serious note, Philly may be a
little steamed after DeClerq cancelling out on a meeting with Larry Brown
after he flew back to the East Coast just to meet with DeClerq.  There's an
article attached below from a Philly paper that throws some light on that.
 It also mentions that Philly is interested in signing Strong, but that the
Celts have a better shot at him too.

At least the Boston - Philly games should be a little more exciting this year
!

Hank M.

- ----- and from the Philly Daily News ----------------------

THE PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS  Tuesday, July 15, 1997

DeClercq Heist by Celts Helps Revive Rivalry

Phil Jasner Daily News Sports Writer

              Is the Boston-Philadelphia rivalry back or what?
	First, Larry Brown is courted by the Celtics, feels he has been left on the
back burner and signs to coach the 76ers.
	Next, the Sixers acquire Dino Radja from the Celtics, only to discover that
Radja has a bad knee and can't pass a physical.
	After that, the Sixers and Celtics are among the teams scrambling to add
Utah forward Keith Van Horn in the draft. The Sixers pull the trigger,
sending Van Horn, the No. 2 pick in the draft, to New Jersey in a blockbuster
eight-player trade, the largest in team history.
	Now, the Sixers schedule a meeting with Golden State free-agent forward
Andrew DeClercq, only to learn he canceled, agreeing to terms with the
Celtics.
	Worse, Brown catches a flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia, in part, to
meet with DeClercq.
	A source said the 6-10 DeClercq, who was to have met last night with Brown
and vice president of basketball administration Billy King, accepted a
five-year deal from the Celtics worth $8.4 million.
	Brown and King, to say the least, were not happy.
	``DeClercq's agent Joel Bell said he could get more per year than what we
could offer,'' said King, who still would have liked to meet DeClercq. ``He
would have helped our team a lot. Plus, I'm a competitor. I don't like to
lose. For what we're looking for, DeClercq was one of the better rebounders
per minute.
	Bell was not available for comment.
	Still, does this seem like a lot of anguish over a two-year veteran who
started just one game last season and averaged 5.3 points and 4.2 rebounds
for a 30-52 team?  ``We liked Andrew for his potential,'' King said. ``It's
not unlike the success Celtics signee Travis Knight had playing next to
Shaquille O'Neal with the Los Angeles Lakers. We feel that, in the right
environment, he can succeed.'' DeClercq's deal is contingent on the Celtics
clearing salary-cap space via the relief they will get from Radja's $5.313
million contract when he signs with a team in Greece.
	``I can't comment on any contractual matters, but we have interest,''
Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said. ``Coach Rick Pitino knows him
well, and you don't have to be a basketball guru to know we have holes up
front.''
	DeClercq met with Pitino Saturday in Marietta, Ga. When the Celtics raised
the ante Sunday night, the visit with the Sixers was called off.
	``He's a real hard-working guy, a positional rebounder who runs the floor
well and contests shots,'' Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean said.
``He's not a strong finisher, but he's a terrific guy who fills a role.''
	The Sixers, with a payroll surpassing next season's salary cap of at least
$25 million, could offer only their $1 million exception. The exception
allows for a maximum two-year offer of $1 million and $1.15 million.
	It is believed the Celtics will use whatever remains of that space to pursue
Orlando free-agent forward Derek Strong, a 1990 second-round pick of the
Sixers in 1990 and, of all things, a former Celtic. The Sixers  -- there's
that rivalry again  -- also are interested in Strong.
	But since Strong likely will get better offers from the Celtics and other
teams, the Sixers could target Houston free-agent forward Othella Harrington
or possibly Charlotte free-agent Malik Rose, the former Drexel star. And they
will continue to explore what might be on the trade market for incumbents
Clarence Weatherspoon and Derrick Coleman.
	That is what is left on the drawing board after the Celtics' little victory
in free agency.