Re: Franchise players

I agree totally.  Antoine will probably be the franchise player soon, but
right now he isn't close.  He isn't the most talented on the team either.
Antoine is a good basketball with a lot of potential, but right now isn't
the time for Antoine to be the "franchise".  Right now, Dee Brown is the
most talented, but he isn't the franchise player.

> If you're defining a franchise player to be someone you want to touch the
> ball on the final possesion of a tight game, then you're crazy to label
> Antione as a franchise player already.  Maybe later, but let him prove it
> first.
>
> You want someone that has no consistent form whatsoever on his jumpshot
> shoot from outside?  Every great shooter I can think of had a very
> consistent release on his shot.  It can look awkward or unusual, but the
> release has to be the same every time, otherwise the result is
> inconsistent.  And I've never seen Walker release the ball the same twice
> in a game.  You want him to dribble at the crunch time?  Like the game
> last year when he grabbed an Off rebound and was stripped leading to the
> go-ahead layup?  That leaves passing, with someone playing way off him
> cause he can't dribble or shoot good enough to warrant the pressure.
That
> makes passing tougher.  Hopefully with some real coaching, he'll be a
> better shooter and dribbler, but based on last season, he's not ready
yet.

> Which leads us to the other candidates for clutch player of the game.  I
> don't believe in labeling rookies who haven't played against NBA players
> in an NBA game the label of clutch players, so that leaves off Billups
and
> Mercer until they've played a couple games.  (If you disagree, then
> signing players like Knight to 7-year, big money contracts prob doesn't
> bother you either.)
>
> And speaking of Knight, clutch player?  No thanx.
>
> So based on last year, I would put the ball in Wesley's hands #1, and #2
> Fox.  Ah, but they're gone.
>
> Dee Brown?  Don't shoot it, please.  And driving prob won't get the foul
> called as the refs choke on their whistles the last seconds of the game.
> Maybe receive an alley-oop from a good passer, like Fox (Walker?).
>
> Dana Barros?  Yes, if it's open, you're a shooter.  Launch it.  Or fake
> and drive.
>
> Williams?  Definitely, if he's hot and there's enough time for 10 head
> fakes (over 15 seconds, at least).
>
> And Antoine?  Crash the boards and tip it in.  Franchise player?  Why,
> what's he done so far?  15 wins?  Not many franchise players there.  Take
> the label off and let him earn it without the pressure/glory that he
> hasn't earned yet.  Franchise player for an offensive rebounder?  Let him
> learn how to shoot, how to dribble better, and most importantly, how to
> feel the defensive mismatches in the clutch.  He's not there yet.
>
> And hopefully Billups and Mercer will earn their medals, too.
>
> Speaking of which, anyone wonder what might be the response from these
> predicters of 40+ wins and the playoffs, if the Celts start off 0-5,
> losing by an average of 15 points per game, with Billups, Mercer, and
> Walker looking like lost pups out there?  Will they have the faith that
> they'll develop over 20 or 30 games?  Or will they crucify these players
> for not being the All-stars that they've already been anointed as?
>
> One more puzzling question, when did the Celts suddenly become one of the
> most talented teams in the NBA?  Draft night?  The Travis Knight signing?
> I guess Billups and Mercer are already more talented than Mourning,
Ewing,