DeClercq and Gene's Vacation

Hey,

Gene Wrote:
"I'm leaving for two weeks and before I return to the list I would like a few
things settled:  l.  Dino to somewhere else  2.  DeClerq to sign for a one
year plus contract"

Ask and you shall receive:
Found this in the Warriors NG. It's not a one year deal but hope this helps.
I imagine, it can't be done until Dino is officially gone. It also looks
to start out under $1mil for the 1st year which would still leave about
$2mil space for more signings or cap-lopsided trades.

Tone

BY RIC BUCHER
Mercury News Staff Writer

The Warriors' rebuilding program will be more extensive than
expected, with their most valuable free agent, forward-center
Andrew DeClercq, close to joining the Boston Celtics.

DeClercq, who emerged as one of the team's best big men
during the last two months of the 1996-97 season, met with
Celtics Coach/President Rick Pitino on Saturday and has
agreed in principle on a five-year deal worth more than $7
million.

``Having watched Pitino for my four years at Florida and the
last two years while I was in the NBA, I know how he
coaches and I've (had a chance) to see his style and ability to
take a team and make them winners,'' DeClercq said
Monday from his off-season home in Florida.

``The plus side with being in Boston is it's going to afford me
the chance to play a lot and improve as a player. Yeah, we
may not have a winning season right away and we may not
jump into the playoffs, but I know Rick Pitino has the
foresight to put together a winning program.''

The Warriors made a halfhearted effort to keep DeClercq,
their only offer being a two-year, $1 million deal. Several
teams, including the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers
and Chicago Bulls, were interested in signing him to deals
with first-year salaries of $1 million.

Coach P.J. Carlesimo, who did most of the negotiating
because Garry St. Jean was not hired as general manager
until Thursday, said making a better offer would have
hamstrung the team in regard to other moves he hopes to
make this summer, refusing to elaborate.

``It's a very good deal for him, and I think Andrew is going to
do well,'' Carlesimo said. ``To do anything more than we
offered would have hurt us in terms of other people we're
talking to. He (also) would've been our 12th guaranteed
contract. We liked him a lot, but only at numbers that made
sense for us.''

DeClercq's overall numbers for last season would suggest the
Warriors made a prudent decision, but anyone who saw him
play the last two months of the season understands what a
huge loss he could be. Through the first 49 games, he led the
league with an average of one foul every 3.9 minutes,
grabbed seven or more rebounds only four times and scored
in double figures only once, shooting 42 percent.

But during the final 33 games, he became a force, grabbing
seven-plus rebounds eight times, scoring in double figures 11
times and shooting 58 percent from the floor. His breakout
game came against the Celtics, when he scored 14 points on
7-of-9 shooting in a season-high 23 minutes. Against Denver,
the Warriors were forced to use DeClercq instead of Joe
Smith on star forward Antonio McDyess, and DeClercq
responded with 10 points, 15 rebounds and two blocked
shots.

The only holdup in DeClercq signing with the Celtics is the
status of forward Dino Radja, who is close to leaving the
NBA to play in Greece, which would open salary-cap room.

``That does have a factor on whether they offer something to
me now or later,'' DeClercq said. ``At the moment, a lot of
things are kind of on hold.''

Except, that is, his career with the Warriors. That is over.

ETC.: The Warriors have tendered a contract offer to
first-round pick Adonal Foyle and expect to have a deal
wrapped up soon, Carlesimo said. Under the terms of the
league's rookie salary cap, Foyle can sign nothing higher than
a three-year deal worth $5.1 million. . . . Carlesimo plans to
begin naming his assistant coaches this week. Rod Higgins,
who worked under the team's previous two coaches, is the
only known lock to be part of the new staff. Other candidates
who have been mentioned include Johnny Davis and Paul
Westhead.