Re: Trade and Radja

We would never be able to get IR money for Radja.  The missing cartlidge
in his knee limits his ability to play, not prevents it all together.
To get IR money, a player must be deemed by the league to be unable to
play for the entire season.  As the Philadelphia doctors described it,
Dino is capapble of playing individual games without problem.  He will
not be able to play back to back games, or perhaps 2 games in three
days.  And he would be able to only practice a limited amount the
following day or two after a game because his knee will temporarily
swell up to the unuseable point.  This is not much different (end result
wise) from Bird his final season or even to some extent McHale.  Both
had injuries agrevated by play.  Either could play at a very high level
for individual games, but both would then have to sit out practices and
sometimes games the following day or days.  Sometimes they could even go
back to back, but not reliably.

In other words, this is grounds for voiding a trade, as Radja is damaged
goods (assuming Philly was not aware of the condition to begin with).
But it also means Radja can be relatively effective, and therefore we
are inelligible for the injury salary cap exemption.  If he is not
signed by Europe or traded, he may end up riding the end of the bench
for Pitino.  This will be Pitino's choice not to play him at all, and
thus we get no salary cap relief.

Adam