Re: Kevin Garnett

Mishra stated:

> Rasheed Wallace is a PF and plays that position for the trail-blzers, in
fact he got injured often when they tried to play him at center in
Washington. Getting him in next years free agency will be almost
impossible. Paul Allen, their owner is a multi billionaire and by far the
richest in the NBA and will be able to match any offer that any franchise
could make. I belive we do need a star PF so why look at Garnett, the best
> young prospects are McDyess, Smith and Grant in that order.

I have to disagree with you on this one.  I think Wallace is the best
suited for the 4/5 spot, with McDyess a close second. It is not like they
are going to move Sabonis to the 4.  If he replaced Cliff Robinson that
says something right there.  Robinson gave them 20 a game. It really does
not matter how much money you have if the player thinks he has a better
opportunity elsewhere.  Ask Orlando with Shaq, and Charlotte with Alonzo.
I think you rank Grant a little too high, especially coming of a major
injury.  He will probably be 75% of his former self at best, and a time
bomb waiting to blow again like Manning, Laphonso Ellis, "Out of Service",
etc. and too much a risk to waste a large long term contract on.

>   Now Joe Smith is thin, his agent is keeping everybody in
> suspense, he is the last year of his contract and his market value at its
lowest ebb, but his talent is unquestionable. These are the reasons the C's
could make a strong bid for him.if we can get him, we will have potential
all star's at 4 of the 5 positions..and the right foundations for a
> championship team.

I don't see Joe Smith ever playing 5 in the NBA, I don't know if he is
really big physical to play 4. But then in a couple of years with malone
gone it looks like a lot of 4's will be in this mold.  If you think Wallace
can get injured, try letting Smith get tossed around by Shaq & company.
We already have Walker & Knight two players really suited for the 4 spot.
I don't expect Smith to go that cheap either unless he just likes what he
sees with Pitino, which is something that would not have happened with the
last several Celtic coaches.

IMO I would smart package Knight and something for McDyess, Wallace, Baker
or Smith  before they get on the market and someone offers them $15M a
year.  I think at least 2 possibly 3 will change teams next year.