Re:ML/Jayson Williams

Timothy Jordan wrote:

> > I think we should consider this.  I don't think next years draft will be
> > strong one & we really do not need any more rookies, we need some young
> > veterans.
>
> NJ might be interested in next year's first round pick, but not 1999 or
> 2000.  I agree that there will be no talent in next year's draft.  Its
> pretty much guaranteed who will win the NCAA Championship, Arizona.  Miles
> Simon will be the lone good player in next years draft.  Maybe a deal
> sending Dana Barros, 1998 #1 pick for Williams and their 1999 #1 pick.
> Dana makes nearly the same as Williams and then it would be pick for pick.
> Any comments?

It's always dangerous to see NCAA tourneys as "...pretty much
guaranteed..." as in '83 N.C. State v. Houston (Olajuwon) and '85
Villanova v. Georgetown (Ewing).  I think Kansas has a solid team and
overlooking the talents of both LaFrentz and Pierce is a major
oversight.  Then there's the likely early entry of Robert "Tractor"
Traylor (Michigan) whom "experts" are likely to be calling "the next
Charles Barkley but with height" by the time the tourney rolls around.
Plus, since you're so high on AZ, what about the talents of Bibby &
Simon?

I think we keep our pick.  Chances are we miss the playoffs (though not
necc. by much) and it would be a travesty to make a significant
improvement in one year and then miss out on a lottery pick.  There is
no realism to visions of Jayson Williams or Vin Baker in Celtics uni's.

> ML has made some bad deals in his few years as Celtics coach, but he made
> one deal that is very good.  Last year, he traded Eric Montross and the
> ninth pick to Dallas for their 6th pick and next year's Dallas pick.  The
trade turned out to be:

> Ron Mercer and Antoine Walker for Eric Montross and whoever Dallas picked
> with the ninth pick.  Now that is a classic "steal'.

Dallas took the wrong Walker, as in Samaki.  If Red had made this deal
people would have been lauding him to the heavens, saying, "He's still
got it!"  Because ML over-hyped some very questionable FA signings, it's
swept under the rug.  I disagree that ML made some bad deals, though,
unless you mean contracts rather than trades.  Douglas for Day was a
good swap, no?