>Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 11:46:57 -0400
>From: bocelts@scsn.net (R. Bentz Kirby)
>Subject: Knight
>
>I see that he played one year.  He averaged 4.8 points and 4.5 rebounds.
>Most guys at the Y could average 4.5 rebounds.

Most guys at the Y don't play against NBA atheletes.

>And for this he gets
>$3mm a year for 7 years.  What the uuuhhhh, heck, is that about.  I hope
>he can run the floor and play defense against anybody in the NBA.  I
>don't know a thing about him, but his stats and overall draft pick
>status do not seem to add up to this contract.  I am sorry.

I'm neutral about it - don't think it is a great pickup, but don't think it
is a stupid deal either. Knight played decently for the Lakers, and the
Lakers wanted to hang on to him but were constrained by salary cap
regulations that wouldn't allow them to pay him more than 350K next season.

- -Marc