Re: Duncan vs. Van Horn

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, pravda@tiac.net wrote:

> At 08:39 PM 1/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >	.....I know people are getting tired of this but I still don't see
> >Duncan as an NBA center.  He would probably end up being a Brad Daugherty
> >type at that position.....
> >Jeremy
>

> Excuse me but can you explain to me why it would be so bad if Duncan turned
> out to be a "Brad Daugherty type?" Daugherty had a reputation of being soft
> when he entered the NBA and proved doubters wrong. He was an excellent
> offensive center and held his own on defense too. If not for a back
> condition and operation, not unsimilar to Bird, he would continue to be the
> big man in the middle for Clevland. I expect more from Duncan who appears to
> be more athletic but wouldn't be dissapointed if he turned out to be a "Brad
> Daugherty type."
>
> JC

	I didn't mean to imply that Daugherty sucked or anything like
that.  When he was healthy he was a great player.  But many people on the
list have been mentioning Duncan in the same breath as Hakeem Olijuwon and
Bill Russell.  To me those comparisons seem very far fetched.  Your
talking about probably two of the top ten players ever.  I don't see
Duncan being able to take the night in and night out grind of going up
against the biggest players in the league every game.  If an NBA team were
to play him 40 minutes every game at center, he could very well end up
having his career cut short just like Brad Daugherty.
	Along the same lines the C's really need to at least sign a CBA
point guard to give Wesley some rest.  I don't see his playing 45+ minutes
a game on a bad foot helping to add additional years to his career.

Jeremy