No Subject

 ----------
> From: JASPINDLER@aol.com
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Dallas' First Round Pick
> Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 6:26 PM
>

> Now for my thoughts on the potential for this team next year:
>
> Assuming that we can draft Duncan (or at worst Battie)
> and assuming that the Dallas pick is somewhere in the top 5 choices:
> and assuming that we resign Wesley for Day's money and send Todd packing
>
> Scenario #1
> Brown, Barros, Ellison and Radja cannot be moved for anything. Try as we
> might, we are stuck with them.
>
> Next year's starting lineups:
>
> Walker, Williams and Duncan  with Wesley and Minor
>
> Bench: Fox (the ideal 6th man!), Radja, Barros, Ellison and Brown
>
> Remaining slots are filled with: the other #1 pick, and Marty Conlon
>
> Under this scenario, I would not draft a shooting guard with the Dallas
pick,
> since we already have 3+ players who can do this (Minor, Barros, Brown
and
> Fox)

Response:  The only problem is we can't play either Barros or Brown with
Wesley in the backcourt due to their size, and Minor can't consistently hit
the outside J.

> Scenario 2
>
> Philadelphia or Sacramento trades with Boston in a package deal.
>
> Philly gives up Stackhouse for Minor, Barros and Boston's 2nd round pick
in
> 1997. or Sacramento gives up Richmond and Hurley for Brown, Minor and a
swap of the Dallas pick for thier first round pick. By moving up to a top
five pick,

Response:  I like the Stackhouse move, I think Richmond may be a bit to old
for our plans but would add some veteran experience.

> I would argue that either of these deals work for Boston because you have
> addition by subtraction.  We must get down to an 8-9 man rotation, and
today,
> if all of the injured players were healthy we would have too many
shooting
> guards/small forwards.  If we learned anything from this past 2 months,
it is
> that Walker can play the power forward spot, Eric WIlliams is a 3, and
Wesley can run the team.  We need a center (Duncan or Battie) and a big 2
guard who can play the uptempo style. Fox would be the ideal 6th man a la
John Havlicek, not that he has Hondo's talent, but he certainly has his
hustle,
> desire and leadership qualities.

I like this idea.

> So, under this scenario, we have a lineup of:
>
> Duncan or Battie, Williams, Walker, Wesley and Richmond or Stackhouse
>
> Bench: Fox, Radja, Ellison and either Barros or Brown,  and the other
first
> round pick
>
> Now this is an 8-9 man rotation!  The biggest problem with this roster is
> that the bench players are making more money than the starters, so there
> would have to be a plan to address this issue over the long term.
(Perhaps
> Dino will decide to go back to Europe!)
>
> Scenario 3
>
> ML ( or LB) is able to flush Brown or Barros, and Radja for role players
in
> the last year of their contract.  I have no idea who these guys may be,
but
> I'm sure the list can come up with some candidates that would work under
the
> cap rules. For the sake of illustration, lets call these guys the
> "short-timers"
>
> The lineup then looks like this:
>
> Starters: Duncan (or Battie)  Walker, Williams, Wesley and Minor
> Bench: Fox, Brown or Barros, Ellison, Conlon or Szabo, Short timers
>
> Under this scenario, I would use the Dallas pick to draft the most
promising
> power forward possible, with an eye toward one that would develop in 2-3
> years.  I would not take a 2 guard with the Dallas pick.  These guys are
> dime a dozen (in fact we have almost a dozen of them) and Minor can do a
> decent job if surrounded by talent like Walker, Williams, Wesley and
Duncan.
>  By drafting a power forward with the Dallas pick, you give yourself
> insurance in case Walker is hurt or decides to leave after 3 years.

Response: IMO we need a big scoring 2 and a backup point more than a 4, we
could get a decent player like Scot Pollard, Michael Doleac, etc.  with our
second rounder, or a Miles Simon or Kiwane Garris or Dejuan Wheat.  Or move
Williams or Fox and select an Charles O'Bannon ?

> In summary, my advice to ML and the Celtics is as follows:
>
> Hold onto those picks.  Don't trade either one no matter how tempting the
> offer.  Dallas will suck big time for the rest of the season.

Agree

> Don't re-sign Todd (Butthead) Day.  Despite his scoring ability and
flashes
> of talent he is not consistent and does not fit long term into the team
> concept.  Give his money (2.9M$/yr) to Wesley, and sign him for 3-4
years.

Ditto !

> Draft big.......Duncan and Battie if you can get both, but don't use one
of
> the picks on a 2 guard.  There are no Jordans or Grant Hills out there,
and
> we have enough candidate for the position.

Even if we land Duncan we will need another big body in the paint.

>I like going for Duncan, and moving the Dallas pick for Stackhouse.  I
think he has more potential than any 2 in the draft, unless Ron Mercer is
available.

Can you imagine:

Duncan
Walker