Wesley/S.I.

Perhaps the final word on this subject comes from Wesley himself, in this
article from yesterday's Boston Globe:

Celtics notebook: Wesley's a valid point
By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 02/16/97

PORTLAND, Ore. - David Wesley is trying to recall the
big name of 1988. It was a time when Wesley was a high
school basketball player in Longview, Texas. He was
good. But not good enough to make you leave your feet
and lose your voice.

``People didn't look at me and say, `Damn! Now that
dude can puh-lay!''' he says.

He begins the mental shuffling again, trying to access that
big name from Longview in '88. Who was that player
who made you say damn?

``Oooh,'' Wesley says. ``Give me a second.''

Pause.

``Gosh, what was his name? I'm going to remember it.
He went to John Tyler High School. He was about 6-2,
a shooter. He went to South Alabama and never really
developed his game. Everyone thought he was a player
because he got all the offers. I got one offer and it was
for junior college. They would bring the guy in at the end
of the game to launch 3-pointers.''

He still can't remember the name.

The big name didn't move on to the NBA. The flashless
man, the one who now wears a No. 4 Celtics uniform,
did. He knows that people with stories like his don't
often become starting NBA point guards. He knows that
people with games like his will never get much
recognition.

Wesley is not going to dribble down the court, look left
and flip a no-looker to a teammate on his right. His game
is shirttails hanging. Avoiding picks. Using picks.
Perfecting a give-and-go with Rick Fox.

His game is girders and beams rather than glinting steel
and brick. The original point guard, Bob Cousy, says
Wesley is not a traditional point man but ``he's a hell of a
player.'' That's his game.

Once again, Wesley will face another big name tonight.
Kenny Anderson of the Trail Blazers. He played with the
guy. Practiced with him. Sat behind him in New Jersey,
knowing that he could compete with Anderson. But
Anderson, not Wesley, makes you leave your seat with
passing and crafty inside shooting.

Sports Illustrated pointed this out recently, rating the
league's top point guards. Anderson was there. Stephon
Marbury and Allen Iverson were there. Wesley wasn't
there.

``I was doing one of these,'' he says, scrolling his finger
over an imaginary ledger, ``looking up and down that list.
I said to myself, `I can play with him ... I had a good
game against him ... I think I'm just as good as him.'

``I think I should have been on that list. There are guys in
the league who are given credit for being good before
they ever prove it.''

But worrying about things like that is something Wesley
won't do.

``You're whining about not getting respect and people
not paying attention to you and you lose focus,'' he said.

That is what M.L. Carr liked about him in 1994. Wesley
was just a guy who had warmed the bench for the Nets
in '93-94. Carr likes to tease Wesley, so the coach says
he didn't pay attention to his point guard then because,
``I don't watch players on the bench. Maybe if he had
waved a towel or something I would have watched him.''

He waved no towels and had no gimmicks. He just played.

``He never complained,'' Carr said. ``He just came in to
do a job.''

That's what he's doing now. He is already stronger than
most point guards since he weighs 200 pounds. He leads
the Celtics in scoring and assists. He is among the
league's top six in steals and had five Friday night in the
109-106 loss to the Grizzlies. He averages more than 40
minutes a game.

He's always there, but rarely noticed. This is good. Solid
type. There are thousands of people like him in several
professions. When you notice them, something is usually
wrong.

``What is that guy's name?'' he says again to himself.

Can't remember. He walks away so he can prepare for
another NBA game.