Re: Stackhouse

At  8:22 AM 97.2.14 -0600, Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:
>I heard on ESPN that Philly is shopping Jerry Stackhouse "again."  Some
>have uttered warnings about him, but I think he is bona fide.  Without
>question, he is the best college player I have seen in person.  The only
>weakness is that he is not a pure (Jerry West, Ray Allen) shooter.  But
>he has a superb all around game, can step it up in crunch time and
>knows how to win.  I think Philly is stupid, just plain stupid.  They have
>two of the best guards to come out of college in ten years and they can't
>make it work; worse, they seem willing to give up after three months.

Just before reading your e-mail I was watching Stackhouse and the 76ers
play New York. Boy is this team bad! They have some talent, but they remind
me of a bunch of guys who got together on a playground and are trying to
see if today they are going to be "hot". Basketball is a game of making
decisions on the run, and both Stackhouse and Iverson make poor ones.
Iverson you can excuse because "he's a rookie" and he's obviously talented.
Stackhouse I am beginning to wonder about. I don't know how many shots I
saw him force up in the course of a game. He can get by a lot of guys
defending him, but then he runs into the defense down low, and still tries
to dump a shot up. Or see sits out on the perimeter with a guy in his face
and tries to launch it anyway.

Maybe Stackhouse would improve on another team where he was reined in a
little. Watching Philly I get the feeling that this team has been run by
the players for the past few years, not the coach.

- -Marc