No Subject

>Thanks for your interesting comments, uncle.  Let me hit you with another:
> Who are the best two guards?  I hear about Seals, Willoughby, Mercer,
>Billups and I used to hear about Anthony Parker.  Who is best?  What is the
>story?

At this point Mercer is the highest rated prospect at SG.
He has outstanding athleticism, good all around skills
and he has performed well in big games (like last year's final.)
He has also played well against the top players at his position this year
(Matt Harpring and Tim Thomas.) Good size for SG too -
he's about 6-6, 210.  Regularly guards smaller people because
of his quickness. His weakness is his sometimes inconsistent
shooting, but he seems to be pretty solid at least through midrange.
Some question his ball-handling too, but his turnovers are pretty low.
Whatever his shortcomings right now the scouts feel he has greater
potential than any of the above.

Billups is interesting: he's a combo guard type, an athletic
6-3, 200 guy who is great at creating and making his jumper
but he can also handle and make a flashy pass.  He's not as good
at running a team as is a pure point like Brevin Knight but he has
done it pretty well on this level.  A lot of potential like Mercer
(both are sophomores).  I think he'll be a late lottery pick if he comes out;
even though he's not a pure PG he has too many physical tools and skills
to pass up.

Willoughby is a great long range shooter with a very quick release
and a good overall scorer.  A little small (listed at 6-3)
and doesn't have a great defensive rep, so he might have some problems
on the next level, since he's not likely to convert to PG.
I think, depending on his true height and how he defends in camps,
he's anywhere from an early 2nd rounder to undrafted.

Seals is a great scorer, has a good all-around game, an excellent build and
good athleticism.  He got people excited after torching DTIII this summer,
but he has not shot well this season (or any season in fact.)
Part of the problem is shot selection (taking a lot of off-balance,
defender-in-your-face jumpers) but when a guy's career fg%
is less than 40 you have to question the purity of his shot as
well as his ability to shoot off the dribble.  A real question mark
in my mind - could be anywhere from mid-1st round to early 20s.
Maybe the rest of the season will tell.

Anthony Parker was injured early this season and is playing his way back
right now, so his scoring and shooting numbers are down.  He also looked good
against DTIII, and unlike Seals shot very well last season
(fg% high 40s, 3 pt. % low 40s.)  Good finisher on the break,
seems to be a pretty pure shooter.  The rest of the season
and camps will be crucial for him.  Was considered as high as
late lottery before the injury.

Other guys -

James Cotton, Long Beach State, 6-5.  Athletic, good shooter/scorer,
good from the line.  Pretty form on his shot. Only a junior; could be a late
lottery to mid-1st rounder if he comes out.

Reggie Freeman, Texas, listed 6-6.  Seems to have all the skills
for SG.  Hard to evaluate because his coach gives him free reign to
create for himself and others off the dribble, so he has high scoring
and low shooting averages.  Great rebounder for his size, good defensively,
can drive and dish. Not a pure shooter but has made a big number of 3s in
his career. A lot of impressive performances this year, so his stock has
risen. A possible mid-1st rounder.

- --
Uncle Vasya
anon2e18@nyx.net