No Subject

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 JOzersky@aol.com wrote:

> How is Battie as a shot blocker?  And what about Brian Skinner of Baylor,
who
> I heard so much about?  How do they compare with Duncan as defenders?

Battie is a good but not great shotblocker.

I think he averages about 2.5 a game, which is less than Skinner (3.0)
and Duncan (3.6).  Skinner, however, has gone down in scoring and
rebounding this season (16 pts 9 rebs.), and Battie outplayed him
head-to-head in January:

Skinner: 28 min, 16 pts, 5 rebs, 2 blks, 7-18 fg

Battie:  32 min, 24 pts, 12 rebs, 5 blks, 10-17 fg

I think Duncan is a better defender than both.
He's a better shotblocker plus he can go outside and chase
smaller players (he has played a few 6-7/6-8 guys this year.)

Skinner apparently has the least developed offensive game
of the 3, as well as being the worst from the line.
He is, however, better built than Battie.

> Also, is there any chance Tim Thomas will be a 5 in the pros?

I think there's virtually no chance of him becoming
a full-time center.  Thomas' game screams small forward --  outside
jumpers, entry passes to the big man, handling and finishing on the break,
etc.  He doesn't seem to have much of a desire to go inside
and bang, despite his 6'9"-6'10" frame.  He may play some 5
and even more 4 in the NBA but only part-time, like Cliff Robinson.

- --
Uncle Vasya
anon2e18@nyx.net