rookie midseason review

I have just watched the all-star rookie game and I am convinced that it
augurs badly for antoine's chances re the rookie of the year  award.  He is
my take on our young star:  Antoine deserves serious consideration for ROY,
leading as he does in one major category, and in the top five in scoring,
minutes, etc.  Besides, he must be setting some kind of record for offensive
rebounds for a rook.  He has played extended minutes at five positions,
including center, which should count for something.

ROY aside, antoine is a surprisingly strong rebounder, an excellent defender
both on ball and off, and seems to have the ability to get a shot with his
dribble at any time or on anyone.  On the down side, he can't seem to make
anything, and has to depend on his rebounding for putbacks.  Presumably, this
will come as he stops rushing shots.  The skill he was most reputed for,
however, is the one that has been most disappointing:  his much vaunted
passing skills.  Antoine seems to be neither a skilled nor an instinctive
passer.  He wants to pass, but he doesn't seem to have much feel for it,
either in transition or feeding the post.  The ball is never near his man's
hand, and he doesn't seem to be even as gifted a passer as Todd Day, of all
people.  Perhaps if we get another good passer (tim duncan), he will develop.
 Does anyone know how a 20-year old Larry Bird passed the ball?

Anyway, it's obvious that the guy will be an all star within two or three
years.  I think we can pencil in 20 points, 10 rebounds, and some assists for
the next ten years or so, but will he be Chris Weber or Grant Hill -- that's
the question.

BTW:  I am thinking about going to Secaucus for the draft.  Maybe we should
all try to go and sit together.  (seriously.)