Re: Odds

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I am not an oddsman, but aren't our odds of getting the #1 pick better if
> we're worst and Vancouver is second?  That way, if either of us gets it,
> the Celts win.  Yes?  Plus, we get the additional number of cards from
> the Dallas pick.  And, should Toronto slip in there, we would be helped
> by that?    Doesn't that make our odds close to 50-50?
>
> Gene

Yes our odds do get better if we are ahead of vancouver. But if they win it
just gets thrown out and anther set of numbers is drawn. The team that wins
that gets the first pick. The higher the Celts and the Mavs are the more
lotto cards we are assigned and the higher the two expansion team are the
more cards there are that can not win the lottery. I guess mathematically
it could end up with the Mavs with the worst record, the Celts second worst
and Vancouver and Toronto rounding out the worst 4. That would give the
Celts roughly over 60% chance of getting the first pick. But this is not
and ideal world and I doubt we will be that lucky.

Art Silva