Chauncey

                      Chauncey                                     12/31/97

CB amazed me in the Laker game with two big steals from Van Exel in the fourth
quarter.  His size, strength, and defense are definitely great attributes that
are hard to find in a point guard.  But then in the Phoenix game he was
terrible.  He was completely outplayed by Steve Nash (Phoenix's third string
point guard).  The most impressive part of Nash's game is how fast he advances
the ball up the court.  There were several times that he raced up the court
faster than I've ever seen Chauncey do it.

I completely disagree with all of the negative talk about Bob Cousy.  He tells
it like it is.  Most of the people I know complain about Heinsohn because he
sounds like Paul Gaston's puppet, always promoting every C's player like
they're a potential all-star and always blaming the refs for bad calls.  He's
the reason I often turn down the volume and turn the radio on, but it's mostly
to listen to Howard David.  He's the funniest basketball commentator I've ever
heard.  He's always taking completely unnecessary cheap shots at other team's
players.  It gets to the point were Cedric Maxwell bursts out laughing and
can't control himself (and you really can't blame him).

It's amazing how wide spread this Sacremento/Miami/Boston trade rumour is
getting.  I wonder what's holding it up.  If trading Knight and Billups could
land us Mashburn and Austin, I'd do it.  Then maybe we could make jlyell's
DeClerq for Nash trade.  Although I think Phoenix would want more than that
for Nash.  KJ will retire after this season and they might lose Rex to free
agency.

Thinking about the three way trade, if Miami is sending us Mashburn they are
probably going to get McCarty in return.  It's a tough call.   I like McCarty
more than Mashburn because of his energy, youth, and contract size.  But
getting Austin would give us a great chance at making the playoffs this year.
I doubt we can sign Austin as a free agent next year.   Even if we have the
cap room because without him we probably will not make the playoffs.  And from
Austin's perspective he'll either take less than market value to be with Miami
(perceived as a contender) or take more money from another contender (ie
Phoenix).  After three years in a row in the lottery Austin won't want to sign
with us because he's too old to stay around for the rebuilding process.  But
if we get him now and make the playoffs with him as he learns the system, he
might stick around.

Happy new year everyone,
Jeremy